PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Research on the subject is all over the board on smoking and its relationship to insulin/blood glucose levels. Smoking does seem to increase insulin resistance in Diabetics but not in non-Diabetics. If you are a diabetic you will have a blood glucose meter. Test for yourself. Do a before and after stick and see what you get.
If you are not a diabetic, go to the store and get a meter, they are under $20.00

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If anything, nicotine will cause a drop in blood glucose levels. That's why people can have adverse reaction to heavy nicotine. The flavorings in aromatics actually contain relatively small amounts of sugar which are burned during smoking, so they should have little or no impact on BG.
Russ

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Russ +1.
I'm a (bad) Type 2 diabetic and have seen no appreciable difference (up or down) after smoking aromatics or non-aromatics. I normally do not smoke heavy nicotine blends, so I can't offer my opinion on those. :puffy:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"If anything, nicotine will cause a drop in blood glucose levels"
Not true!

Like I said in my earlier post, the research is all over the place on this. Plenty of studies show a rise, others a drop and still others, no effect. This is why I said to get a blood glucose meter and test yourself.
BTW, All of the studies that actually used human subjects (as opposed to mice etc) used cigarettes. Pipe tobacco would be different since it typically is not inhaled and it is the inhalation that is thought to be the culprit in studies showing a rise (via an increase in corticosteroids ).
Also to reiterate what I also said earlier: Diabetics seem to have a different response (blood glucose to smoking) than non Diabetics.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
The aromatic part of aromatics won't cause blood sugars to rise. Just doesn't work like that. Nicotine itself with blood glucose levels- don't know.
Nicotine does cause vasoconstriction and blood pressure elevation- diabetics are already at significantly higher risks for cardiovascular disease, stroke, etc. You may wish to consider this if you're diabetic.
More importantly, be sure your A1C is being monitored by your doc - this reflects your control long term. If you have weight to lose do it, it's a huge deal.
Source: 4 years nursing school, 7 years acute nursing experience, 1 year managing primary care clinics.

Status
Not open for further replies.