Aromatics in your rotation? With a dedicated pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
If the OP would order from 4noggins I would definitely recommend trying Trout Stream, Three Blind Moose, & Essence of Vermont

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I do not know how available they are in Europe but Ole Shenandoah Barrel #76 and Cult Blood Red Moon are two aromatics I still enjoy.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@drrock

I really have to order from 4noggins one day, but my underlying fear is that my list of tobacco to order is already really and it keeps on growing, e.g. Trout Stream (@forest7)... :oops:

There are a few recurring names here perhaps locally available:

- SG Chocolate flake (@cobguy & @brass)

- Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake (@waxmojo, @drrock, @lordofthepiperings, @petes03 & @cosmicfolklore with his tobacco shop stories, but I got tongue bite from Mac Baren's Navy flake)

Another that I want to try is Germain's Plum Cake.
I recently tried Larsen's Signature which gave me tongue bite but after suitable drying it was better and the aromatics is not overwhelming and the sweetness of Virginia is paired with some nutty flavor; for Stanwell Melange, it was a bit weird, it didn't give me tongue bite of the tin and it burnt to the bottom of bowl with only ash remained, but it is so aromatic that it may override the natural sweetness of tobacco.

And I may try Dan's tobacco one day, I just gave away a pouch of Sweet Vanilla Honeydew to a younger piper friend.
@warren

You inspire a different way of pipe smoking enjoyment - choose a pipe first and then the tobacco that suits it. It's really not thought of for me and it seems fun to try it out. 8)
I asked if members here dedicate pipes to try aromatic because of my experience of turning my pipes sour after smoking a lot of aromatics - I smoked Captain Black (not the current Captain Black Dark) for a few years before switching to some house blend aromatics but that didn't get better. I currently used two red pained Apple shape Falcon bowl dedicated to test out aromatics and there are also two 9mm filtered pipes yet to be broken in to have some decent cake.
@jrtaster, @mso489, @cosmicfolklore

What is more interesting is that we think and which is probably the case that aromatic pipe tobacco has >50% market share than the sum of all others, and that many members do smoke aromatics or began with aromatics; yet there is still a prevailing notion of "graduating from aromatics". I think there is a reason to this notion because tobacco was probably invented (discovered by Europeans) without any additive and flavoring in the very first place.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@brass

Perhaps similar to brass
I think the appreciation of tobacco is quite similar to the appreciation of tea:

- Both of them are invented (Native America vs Asia) to be consumed without additive.

- Both of them are adopted by European.

- Both of them are vastly enjoyed now in flavored form (Aromatics tobacco vs Flower tea / Tea infusion / fruit tea, and even Earl Grey tea is a flavored tea).
@petes03, @cosmicfolklore

So it is quite important for those who already know what high quality tobacco tastes like, to have aromatics that have decent quality tobacco as a foundation.
Otherwise...

I can as well go smoke some Shisha with some girls, that mostly smell and taste like candies and fruits.

:puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
munuhin: I select the blend not based on the pipe I chose, I base it one what appeals to me at the time. I'm not one to dedicate pipes. I'm not a connoisseur in any sense of the word when it comes to pipes or blends. I simply look at what satisfies my urge at the time and go for it. I try not to "over think" my pipes, I'm too easily confused. I just want an enjoyable few moments now and then. Oh! and of course there is the nicotine hit.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
May I add the offerings from Planta, made in Germany, haven't found one to disappoint, as well as most of the Peterson aromatics ( esp Connoisseurs Choice ).
A new favorite of mine has become the much controversial Cornell & Diehl Captain Bob's Blend, but I do not believe it would be available on the shelf at your local European tobacconist, which seems to be your original question. With that in mind, why not go there, see if they have samples or small offerings ( like 5 grams = couple bowls ), or make a list of what's readily available and gather some opinions here.
I do dedicate pipes to aromatics ... Captain Bob has its own pipe, and the Connoisseurs Choice has its own pipe. If I need to try something different, I have a couple of what I refer to "whore" pipes that don't mind not having a dedicated blend or blend type to them.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Try Sutliff Private Sock - Loire Valley and Mountain Pass, you won't be disappointed, the best Lane Aro I have tried thus far is TK6, I like it better than 1Q and RLP6. I agree a lot of Aro's simply don't meet their expectations and can dissapoint. Also another quality Aro is MM Great Dane, the smell and taste is beautiful.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a special pipe for aromatics. Absolutely.
I don't like most aromatics, but Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice is really good, fairly complex and tastes like it smells.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I tried some Sutliff Rum Raisin last night and it had the distinct flavor and aroma of Play-Doh. That led me to search out what the fragrance is in Play-Doh and it turns out it's heliotrope. Who would have guessed? You can cross that one off your list!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@pitchfork, then ... does that imply Lakelands can mostly be flavored by heliotrope (toxic)? 8O

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@rcstan

I also tried some Planta as it's a local tobacco company, I received sample pouches of Planta from time to time when they have new products.

So far I tried their Rum and Maple which is favored by many people, it is very mild and subtly sweet with its Virginia, and I almost could not sense the aromatic ingredient in there except for the 'tin note' (what I bought was in a pouch). My verdict is that it is a good blend but kind of lacking character for either an aromatic or a good Virginia, but can well be many people all day smoke when that want a bit of sweetness from both spectrums. I am keeping an eye on their products, I am so spoiled by the local tobacconists here they always give me a few grams of sample whenever I asked.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
So you're saying that I should stop eating Play-Doh?
I haven't tried Lakelands (or my knowledge about which are the Lakelands is limited)... does that mean Lakelands can also taste like Play-Doh...? 8O

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't tried Lakelands (or my knowledge about which are the Lakelands is limited)... does that mean Lakelands can also taste like Play-Doh...? 8O
Possibly. Depends on who you ask. But some Lakelands definitely have heliotrope as a flavoring. Lakelands are weird, industrial age relics with all kinds of crap used to flavor them. You should try them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Take Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Flake, for example:
This is a medium strength blend resulting from 68% bright Virginias from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi and the remaining 1/3 dark tobaccos including 16% Dark-Cured Indian Leaf. The dominant flavor is of scented almonds which is achieved through the combonation of over 10 different flavors including rose geranium, vanilla, rum, tanquid, musk, heliotrope and rose fragrances.
If you take to the Lakeland style, you'll love Kendal Flake. If you don't, then you definitely won't.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D Autumn Evening. +1
Good maple flavor and good underlying tobacco. Forgot about that one.
Also, Pipeworks and Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish. Made with real maple.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have one favortie aro among a few others. Scotty's Butternut Burley and I don't have specific pipes for it. I do tend to lean to English and VaPers/Vaburs most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.