PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I have tried many, I don't know why? I go to Pipes and Cigars to purchase most of my tobacco and I go there with my brands in mind, but I always get something new. My mainstay is Captain Black White Label, I can smoke it anytime of day, early morning with coffee, late at night before bed it's always good. I stay away from Cherry I have never found one that didn't bite. I always allow my Aero's to dry a bit a couple of pinches set out for the next days smoke. In the evening I like my Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi Mud with my after dinner cocktail or coffee, I also enjoy my Celtic Talisman by Samuel Gawith and my Petersons Irish Flake (Favorite all time) I recently got caught up in the Lane 1Q hooplah and all the rave revues, I smoked 2 bowls and the rest of the 4 ounces is stored, I may revisit it in a few months, but for me it was a waste of money. You can buy tobacco by the ounce and if you don't like it give it to a buddy, some of mine like anything that's free. It's an adventure and it is like anything you consume, sometimes your in the mood for it and sometimes your not. I have seldom liked anything someone else liked at the same level they liked it. You will need to find your own way.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Aromatics are the billboard signs for the olfactory when it comes to pipe smoking. Most the time it's the aromatics that conjures up memories of ol grandpa and his burner.
I've always thought that most aromatics are more enjoyed by the bystanders, not the smoker themselves.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I hope folks didn't take offense, that wasn't my intention at all.
No offense at all .. it's all opinion.

I was just adding my own .02 cents worth.
You asked, "am I missing something"?
IMHO, the answer is no ... you are not missing anything.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I am a little late to the Aro party here but I must say +10 to Voorhees for his remarks concerning Scotty's Butternut Burley. I have a pipe (one of my favorites) dedicated to this blend and it is in my rotation weekly. If smoked at the with the right heat it tastes so much like it's "tin" note that it's remarkable.
... I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else.
I have never had an aro that tasted exactly like what its fragrance was. It's always been tobacco mixed with said accents. Also I know my palate needs building so to get a little more variance in my rotation an Aro serves me well.
j/B

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The late Craig Tarler (founder of C&D) told me that his fear of the FTCA (Family Tobacco Control Act) if/when fully implemented will destroy the small manufacturers like C&D because 70% of tobacco has a "topping" applied. Aromatic versus non-aromatic is simply a matter of degree. For example, a very light topping to bring out the sweetness of Red Virginia leaf is still a non-aromatic by definition because miniscule amounts of flavor are added and virtually undefinable. On the other hand, a Cavendish (process) blend called "double-Chocolate" would not have much if any tobacco taste as it would be heavily laden with topping. So, it is all a matter of degree. If you ever smoke a pure uncased or topped blend you might just throw your pipe away and never smoke again. You should try it sometime. Tobacco requires "some-treatment" in order for it to be smooth and palatable. That treatment might be adding only the Cavendish (roaster-wet) process in order to smooth the bite out of a Burley. Remember, Cavendish is not a "type" of tobacco. But, it is a process applied to tobacco. Flavoring comes later in that process (if desired). Typically, Cavendish (either Virginia or Burley) is used to cut the strength of a blend even if not flavored. Therefore, consider the term "aromatic" as an indicator of "degree". Most of what we smoke has been treated or flavored, or both. It is all a matter of degree. Once you have that understanding, you can determine just by the pouch-aroma, what you are dealing with. Never hesitate to experiment with an open and educated mind. Personally, I do like "light" aromatic tobaccos. I must be able to taste the TOBACCO ingredients and the flavor is secondary.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Adding to what Captain Bob said, I was shocked at how much of the worlds licorice supply is sold directly to tobacco companies. Some of the biggest producers sell 60-90% of their yearly supply to those doing tobacco curing. I believe I owe reading up on the subject to something GL Pease said about how almost no tobacco escapes some treatment.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
In another thread I mentioned I don't smoke aromatics. It occurred to me that I'm not sure I have any experience with aromatics...at all. The farthest I've gone is Irish Flake. I like IF but I do occasionally find the topping intrusive and I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else.
I wonder if I'm missing out on something really exceptional here. Any thoughts on a standout blend that is not sweet or laden with cherry or vanilla?
Sorry to also jump in late on this. It's been many, many years since I tried a typical "pouch" aromatic. I'm of the belief that almost all pipe tobaccos have some form of additive to add additional flavor. I've smoked a pipe off and on since the late 60's, and still enjoy a number of aromatics in addition to many straight VA's & VaPers. I don't care much for Latakia blends, although there are a few blends with smaller amounts of Latakia that I find outstanding. Bottom line - it boils down to personal preference. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some like vanilla...
I'm a huge fan of aromatics from Uhles, Milan Tobacconist, Peretti, 4noggins, and Boswell. All of their aromatics are of highest quality, have lots of tobacco taste - mainly burleys - and have a wonderful room note. Another outstanding aromatic in my personal opinion is P&C's Trout Stream.
Are you missing out on something? If you don't appreciate the fine aromatics from the blenders I mentioned, in my humble opinion the answer is "Yes!"

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I agree with drrock. Milan has many wonderful tobaccos and I have sampled many of them over the last 10 years. They were in the running on CBB but did not make the cut. They are a "Blender" and not a "Manufacturer". Don't misunderstand me. I have the greatest respect for Milan. I just ordered and received two-pounds. One is "Our London Dock" and the other pound is "Sunset Rum". These were repeat orders! I also enjoy their "Buddy's Blend" in rotation, as well. They are wonderful people to deal with and I truly appreciate our relationship. They know that I am Captain Bob of the C&D Captain Bob's Blend. Yet, they are always wonderful and I love their tobaccos. Aromatic or non-aromatic, I highly recommend Milan to all of you. They are well worth your effort. Their selection of their own "blended tobaccos" are excellent choices. And, they will work with you. Give them a call and they will help you. Renee'(the wife and owner)is most dedicated and helpful. When I was choosing who would manufacture my CBB, I worked with them. However, as a "blender" and not a "manufacturer" they just could not get me exactly what I wanted. However, C&D did. I still smoke three blends in rotation from Milan because those blends mentioned are so exceptional. I recommend that you do the same if you are searching. Don't overlook Renee' and Milan. I guarantee that you will be amazed and pleased! They are wonderful people. They deserve your consideration.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

purplemotoman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I love aros and will smoke them until the end of the world. Boswell's is next on my list.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Samuel Gawiths Black Forest and Palace Gate...just good tobacco with taste and room note to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.