PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Never too late!
If this truly does turn out to be The Year of the Aromatic for me, I'm sure I'll check in periodically to find additional suggestions.
Of course, I may get one or two tins in and decide I can't stand it anymore and head back to my Penzance! But I have a feeling I'll find some things I like and some I don't. I can't imagine ever being primarily an aromatic smoker, but I imagine I'll always have a couple in the regular rotation.
Bob

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
BTW, I'm filling a SmokingPipes shopping cart as I go through this thread. But I was astounded at the price of the Reiner Professional Blend: A 100g tin for $22.18! (I've seen B&M stores charge that -- and more -- for Rattray's 100g tins, but I hadn't noticed such an expensive blend at SP.com.) Now, I've paid much more than that for less tobacco, but still. . .
I usually pick up a 100g tin at the Columbus pipe show for $16 (I think).

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm not a regular aro smoker but I can say for sure you can't go wrong with Nording Labrador. That's my go to when I want a change of pace smoke or find myself having a sweet tooth.
I recently tried a bowl of Sutliff Barbados Plantation and found that one pretty enjoyable as well. Next time the urge his I'll have to try this Molto Dulce everyone keeps raving about :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I smoked almost nothing but aromatics for years. My tastes have broadened now for sure, but I still enjoy and stock aromatics. The difference I find now is I like the flavour contrast between aromatics and VA's, Burleys, etc. If anything, I can taste the aros a lot better now than I ever did. Not sure if that makes sense, but it works for me.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sutliff "Molto Dolce", Lane "1Q", Lane "BCA", and "Fat Albert" (a blend of my own consisting of 50% Prince Albert and 50% black cavendish) for the black cavendish in Fat Albert I use either Lane BCA or Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish (also a Lane product). Also, CAO "Eileen's Dream" and Mac Baren "Honey & Chocolate" are both pretty good.
I know Sugar Barrel has been mentioned, and though it is a little on the sweet side, it's not really an aro. It's primarily a straight burley that's been aged in actual sugar barrels. That being said, Sugar Barrel is an excellent smoke!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good luck in your experiment!
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake and Captain Black: Dark are my breaks from my norm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My aromatic choices may sound tame. I rotate them with various English blends like Dunhill 965,

Altadis Fox and Hound, Nat Sherman 536, and Nightcap, among others, so I am looking for a sort

of time off, to prepare for the next experience with English. I really enjoy Lane's 1Q, but like their

LL-7 even more, for its livelier flavor. I like Brebbia Calavados, which is a Virginia based blend with

French apple brandy flavor. I really enjoyed a recent tin of Sutliff's Great Outdoors, and have two of

their other aros waiting to be opened. I also like Altadis Dark Obsession, which is black Cavendish with

a walnut topping, and especially their Queen Anne's Revenge, a Virginia/burley/Cavendish blend

flavored with rum. I like various OTC tobaccos which are technically aromatics, even old burley rough

cut Granger, which has enough flavoring to be an aromatic if you count it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Count me among the many recommenders of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake.
Boswell's Chocolate Cream is also fantastic.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, my six aromatic tins just arrived via UPS. And I have to say, I have never seen such a gorgeous tobacco tin as the Larsen Signature. It's not only a beautifully crafted tin box; the label on the bottom actually tells you what's in the blend. (What a concept!)
I think the Signature will be today's smoke, in a large Radice bent.
Thanks again for all of the great suggestions, guys! I don't expect to become a "real" aromatic smoker -- that is, giving up my preferred Englishes and VAs -- but I'm looking forward to exploring a category I haven't really sampled seriously since I first began smoking a pipe back in 1980.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good luck Bob, let us know what you think!
I will reiterate, Pipe Works & Wilke make the finest aromatics available today and if the ones you're trying are not to you liking, go give them a try, esp Rumcake and Wilke 191.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
My number 1 aro right now is Sutliff Maple Street. Lights easy and smokes like a dream.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sutliff MOULIN ROUGE
No I'm not shouting, its how Sutliff labels it.
It is just like smoking a Strawberry Milkshake,

except it is tobacco and not ice cream and milk.
You go. Try now.
If you don't like the smoke, you can eat it.

Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.