PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.
In my 16 years of pipe smoking, I've tried everything. Aromatics of countless brands, as well as Virginia, English, Latakia, Perique, even Deertongue (I found this last to be much too bitter, though the room note was quite good).

My daily smokes tend to be aromatics and English blends (I prefer to smoke the latter out of churchwardens). I'm not really a fan of Virginia by itself, though the best Virginia I ever had was a McClelland, aged 7 years.

My go-to for aromatics has always been Lane's RLP-6, which, here in St. Louis, Missouri, is sold at the Tinderbox under the name "Chartwell." I have two things to say about this blend, one good, one bad.

1. GOOD: As far as flavor and aroma, I don't think this blend can be beat. I've sampled aromatics from Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, Mac Baren... as well as an untold amount of bulk blends from stores all over the place, never really knowing who the maker was.

2. BAD: This is a very moist blend. Too moist. It leaves a crud in the bowl and sometimes makes the smoke a gurgling experiencing. Cleaning my pipes after RLP-6 is an arduous task. I've even tried drying the blend out a bit, but I've found this alters the flavor too much for me.

So here's my question. Does anyone know of an aromatic blend where I can get the exact same flavor, or at least very close, that I get from RLP-6, but is a bit on the drier side?

1608343926573.png
Here's my desk stash of RLP-6, with my Savinelli Regimental.

Last edited:
Hey guys.
In my 16 years of pipe smoking, I've tried everything. Aromatics of countless brands, as well as Virginia, English, Latakia, Perique, even Deertongue (I found this last to be much too bitter, though the room note was quite good).

My daily smokes tend to be aromatics and English blends (I prefer to smoke the latter out of churchwardens). I'm not really a fan of Virginia by itself, though the best Virginia I ever had was a McClelland, aged 7 years.

My go-to for aromatics has always been Lane's RLP-6, which, here in St. Louis, Missouri, is sold at the Tinderbox under the name "Chartwell." I have two things to say about this blend, one good, one bad.

1. GOOD: As far as flavor and aroma, I don't think this blend can be beat. I've sampled aromatics from Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, Mac Baren... as well as an untold amount of bulk blends from stores all over the place, never really knowing who the maker was.

2. BAD: This is a very moist blend. Too moist. It leaves a crud in the bowl and sometimes makes the smoke a gurgling experiencing. Cleaning my pipes after RLP-6 is an arduous task. I've even tried drying the blend out a bit, but I've found this alters the flavor too much for me.

So here's my question. Does anyone know of an aromatic blend where I can get the exact same flavor, or at least very close, that I get from RLP-6, but is a bit on the drier side?

View attachment 56102
Here's my desk stash of RLP-6, with my Savinelli Regimental.
I should add that I've tried all the aromatics from C&D as well. Not for me. TOO dry.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Tim Davis is third generation blender, London guard is a aromatic English, one of my favorites and the room note is outstanding, wife approved.
We gotta have that wifey approval, for sure. I was smoking Peterson's Old Dublin and she said, "No, no, I don't like this one. That is my final say on the matter."

I knew what that meant. Old Dublin is on the shelf unless she's out of the house.

Prof B
If you have not, you might be in for the pipe awakening of your life. Try Carter Hall. Try SWR Aromatic. Try any of the blends that have been in production for 100 years. Logic dictates they’re still around for a reason. And what have you got to lose?

I've had Carter Hall and SWR. But not Granger. I guess I was laboring under the erroneous belief that Granger wasn't aromatic for some reason.

Just ordered a tin.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I've had Carter Hall and SWR. But not Granger. I guess I was laboring under the erroneous belief that Granger wasn't aromatic for some reason.

Just ordered a tin.

Professor B
Some say it’s a semi-Aromatic. Others straight rough cut Kentucky and molasses and others still that it has been fermented via the (mysterious Wellman Process). But what I hope you find is the flavorful, mild, cool smoking, fragrant tobacco that I know.

And if you don’t, PM me. I can’t cellar enough. Enjoy your puffs and the Forum!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'll go in a different direction with my recommendation. None of these are the same as RLP-6 but they are fantastic blends with high quality tobaccos and sweet goodness.

When they come back in stock try GH&C American Delight, Kentucky Nougat, and Scotch Flake. I prefer the AD to the KN but other people are the opposite but both are worth trying. The AD has less nicotine and is milder than the KN but I find it a more relaxing smoke. The SF has a fantastic tobacco flavor with a wonderful chocolatey-ness.

Jun 23, 2019
Hey guys.
In my 16 years of pipe smoking, ...

Why not just dry it longer? Sometimes when I pop a new tin that's too wet (often it's with aromatics) I leave it in the tin for a week or two as I casually smoke it before jarring it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
not even close but I say just smoke Cary Grant blend from Kramers (really c&d but not their style) it's got a room note I am sure the wive will love. And it's not dry and it's not goopy. Just solidly awesome blend. Not even close to the one you asked about but trust me you'll be glad or at least mildly pleased with the suggestion.

Off Topic :

I smoke aromatic tobacco less than other genres. I have been smoking Exotic Passion as my primary aromatic for a change of pace. Occasionally I sample from Dan Tobacco Blue Note.

Yesterday I smoked 1-Q and compared to the aromatics I smoke, it is not even in the same league.

To the OP:

I don’t know the flavor of your favorite Aromatic. However to get off the beaten track try some of these

1. Rattray’s Exotic Passion or any other Rattray’s Aromatics
2. Dan Tobacco Blue Note or any other Dan tobacco aromatics
3. Gawith Hoggarth & Co Bob’s Chocolate Flake
4. Samuel Gawith Grousemoor
5. Erinmore Flake
6. Gawith Hoggarth & Co Sweet Coconut Twist

The first two are in the aromatic genre and are better than Lane; the next four are good tobacco with aromatic like flavor. Of course I don’t know whether you would like them, but if you do, they will open a whole new dimension of flavors for you

Reactions: Professor B

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess it's even more goopy. That is why I can't stand it too much PG which ruins the taste if you ask me. To those who don't get that, you're lucky.
Just pack them lighter and it'll burn off. C&D's Green River Vanilla is soaking wet but easily burns to a dry finish if packed and tamped lightly.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.