PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Hmm... I stand corrected. The one I've seen (belonging to a late friend) had the normal mortar/tenon mount. Perhaps it was an old design.

Aug 1, 2012
I think it depends on which H.C.A. you get. I know that there are at least 6 basic versions of the pipe.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have been eyeing this army mount Storient meer for a long time. It may be something that interest you.
Storient Army Mount Apple with Silver Connectors
7343875_orig.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
When I can afford it I'm going to commission a half bent bulldog or rhodesian with army mount from Yavuz. It's looking like March but I hope it's sooner.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Some folks have been having quality control issues with entry level Pete's but I really enjoy my #120 and #6 Irish Made Army pipes. I have had no issues with them. These were two of the first pipes I bought when I starting pipe smoking again. They can be purchased new in the low $70's. I had some McClelland's 221-B Honeydew Flake in the #6 a little while ago. Very enjoyable smoke!
DC91BE66-9AB8-4948-B093-D4A7C7BF3091-2585-0000018DFDB99B63.jpg

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Interesting thread. Thanx for all the info. Never knew what a spigot was. Like that Ferndown. :wink:

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
gwtwdbss that looks like an awesome pipe, will definitely put that in the want list.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
GWTWBSS
Those are the ones I've been looking at myself except in the #999.
Great looking pipes

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
One of my first pipes was a silver Peterson Spigot #999. i still love that pipe.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Richard
How long of a smoke does the 999 give? I really like the way it looks but have been concerned if it was that much smaller than other pipes, but from what I can tell from the bowl specs I've seen there really isn't much of a difference.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I haven't pulled the trigger on the Storient yet. I just got that pic of the website. It has been on my "want" for a while though. I am definitely a fan of the Army Mount and Spigot pipes.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Jim,

I have never clocked myself with my pipes so I had to go and give it a try, the bowl isn't as small as you would think. I got a solid 50 minuet smoke out of her. However I tend to be a slow smoker.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I always understood an essential part of an army mounted pipe was the tapered tenon on the stem, that allowed the stem to be pulled when the pipe was hot and/or wet without eventually loosening up like a standard straight tenon. I owned several HCAs in the past (including an HCA 2), and they all had a metal capped shank, but a straight tenon like a regular pipe. The Savinelli Nonpareils alstenon to o have a straight tenon, but it is fit to a delrin mortise under the horn ferrule. Without a wooden mortise, I don't think they would have much of a problem if taken apart hot. The Peterson army mounts and systems have a tapered tenon, and can be pulled apart hot without any problems. If you like the looks of an HCA or Nonpareil, go for it! It's really kind of a moot point unless you plan to frequently be pulling the pipe apart hot. I smoke army mounts when I'm out in the boonies, because I don't carry pipe cleaners, and if I get a wet or plugged pipe, I can take it apart and blow the stem dry or unplug it on the spot.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
You are missing out on more than you know mate. The new pipes, made in todays' world, have very little comparison to those made 40+ years ago. Not in all cases, but in many.

+1 Nfisher

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
In the less expensive line - Dr Grabow Omegas are push bit army stem. Omegas are the only Dr Grabow pipe that has this. They also seem to fetch a premium even in the estate market on Ebay usually running 50-100% more than other Grabow Duke line pipes. I have one as my English smoker. Nice, simple, and a good smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.