PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Welcome from Michigan, what types of pipes and blends do you enjoy?
I started smoking with drug store blends back in the
1960’s. Half & Half, Carter Hall etc. Now I enjoy try both Aromatic and Non-Aromatic blends. For an all day smoke I enjoy Lane 1-Q and Lane LL-7. However, lately those prices have gone through the roof. Now I am trying out all the Sutliff Blends, they are a premium tobacco and easier on the pocket book. l have smoked and enjoyed several McBaren Blends.

Reactions: trudger

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Welcome from an Irishman in New Zealand. I like estate pipes, naturally I have a few Peterson’s, and some others, 9 in total and that’s plenty for me. Tobacco wise, well I can honestly say I have not disliked anything I have stuffed in my bowl!
I have 3 or 4 Artisan Pipes and about a dozen Estate Pipes. I have several pipes that are over 50 years old and they are great smokers. As far as I‘m concerned, the older the briar the better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina and welcome aboard. I like standard brands like Savinelli, Peterson, and Nording, and a few up-market pipes including one Ser Jacopo, one Ferndown by Les Wood, now retired, and one pipe from the late great North Carolina carver Bob Hayes.

Variety is my tobacco preference, currently enjoying GLP Barbary Coast, Esoterica Tilbury, and about two dozen other blends in rotation.

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Hey from central North Carolina and welcome aboard. I like standard brands like Savinelli, Peterson, and Nording, and a few up-market pipes including one Ser Jacopo, one Ferndown by Les Wood, now retired, and one pipe from the late great North Carolina carver Bob Hayes.

Variety is my tobacco preference, currently enjoying GLP Barbary Coast, Esoterica Tilbury, and about two dozen other blends in rotation.
Hi, you and I smoke the same types of pipes. I had a couple made to my specification, but other than that we smoke the same brands of pipes. I have never had a bad smoke from a Savinelli Pipe. i do have a couple Ferndown‘s and am hanging on to them. Have you seen the prices they go for on E-Bay. Check out Pipestud’s Auction on E-Bay. There have been Ferndown Pipes the last two weeks and you won’t believe the prices. Lately I have really been looking at some of the Norton high grade pipes, but at age 82 I don’t buy many pipes. Trust me I have plenty. I have always enjoyed buying and trading pipes, it’s just part of this great hobby we all enjoy.

Reactions: trudger

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome, I smoke a lot of Lane Tobacco’s like 1-Q and Ll-7. I smoke a lot Sutliff and McBaren blends as well. Lately I have been buying some blends from Wilke Tobacco’s. I like both aromatic and non-aromatic blends. I have said this many times, trying different tobacco’s is the best part of this hobby we all enjoy.

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023
You are right on, just filling my pipe with tobacco is relaxing to me. I love to sit outside, smoke my pipe and read a good book. Also, it seems to me that whatever blend I‘m smoking taste better outside in the fresh air. Smells better too!

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023

Those brands are all part of my collection. I even have a couple of Ferndown’s. To me who makes them is not as important as how they smoke. I have a couple of old basket pipes I purchased for less than fifty bucks and they smoke just great. I smoke all the major brands Lane, McBaren, Sutliff and Lately some of Wilke Tobacco custom blends. I like both aromatic and non-aromatic blends. Thanks for the nice welcome, always a pleasure to hear from a fellow piper.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Those brands are all part of my collection. I even have a couple of Ferndown’s. To me who makes them is not as important as how they smoke. I have a couple of old basket pipes I purchased for less than fifty bucks and they smoke just great. I smoke all the major brands Lane, McBaren, Sutliff and Lately some of Wilke Tobacco custom blends. I like both aromatic and non-aromatic blends. Thanks for the nice welcome, always a pleasure to hear from a fellow piper.
Ferndown's?? Educate me....

Arkiefred

Lurker
Apr 4, 2023