PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There are so many goddamn variables associated with drying tobacco, there will never be any kind of followable or consistent “system” that is applicable to any smoker.

It all depends on original moisture content, humidity, moving air, personal cadence, smoking environment, blend contents, level of topping, the cut and processing, and last but not least personal taste.

The only way to do it effectively is to dry each blend in various stages of dryness, within the bounds of your own personal tolerance until you find your personal sweetspot.

The closest I’ve come to having any kind of system is starting under the assumption that if a blend is very similar to one im already familiar with, I start there.

Doesn’t always work, but honestly, if I find that first bowl very enjoyable, I don’t mess with it. I log the feel of the tobacco (not the dry time, due to the aforementioned variables) into the ol’ steel trap and move on.

Chances are you’ll be trying any blend under a different moisture content (usually drier than you wanted) by accident soon enough anyway.

When I get one that seems a little too dry for that blend, I just pack the bowl and then put my mouth over the chamber and blow into it a few times. Your breath will be all it takes to add a little moisture. Of course, when my wife sees me doing this, she always makes the obligatory, "you're smoking the wrong end, dumbass," joke. H aha.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are so many goddamn variables associated with drying tobacco, there will never be any kind of followable or consistent “system” that is applicable to any smoker.

It all depends on original moisture content, humidity, moving air, personal cadence, smoking environment, blend contents, level of topping, the cut and processing, and last but not least personal taste.
<< Snipped bits out >>
Yes, a ton of variables. But if folks would use instrumentation, we could get miles closer. So, I could say, for instance, "I find Super Brown Frosty Flake smokes best at an RH of 72%. (all at 72º). Then folks would agree or disagree with some certainty.

Yes, a ton of variables. But if folks would use instrumentation, we could get miles closer. So, I could say, for instance, "I find Super Brown Frosty Flake smokes best at an RH of 72%. (all at 72º). Then folks would agree or disagree with some certainty.
Can you post a picture and link to where to buy one of these instruments, please?

Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'm probably one of those members who's always talking about drying their tobacco. I only do it for certain blends though, especially flakes (or ropes) from G&H, SG, some McClellands, etc. It depends on the cut. I find that most C&D blends need basically no dry time. That also goes for D&R, Dunhill/Peterson, most ribbons etc etc.

Edit: Also, everything @sablebrush52 said is spot on.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I harken my pipesmoking back to the days of local made twists and plugs sold and cut by the grocer at the General Store, with men all clenching pipes while playing dominoes on barrel heads on the porch. The days before fancy pouches and tins. Smoldering pipes of farmers and lawmen keeping pipes lit all day as they keep a pipe chocked in clench. Not, fancy pipe holders with pinky fingers dangling. But, I digress, for levity.
Ah those were the days ... Did you tie your horse to the railing of the porch or were you able to afford a Model T?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I usually don't dry, more because I'm lazy and don't like to fuss with my tobacco.

Samuel Gawith flakes get the microwave, 5-10 minutes do nothing. Hell, I've left tins unsealed for weeks and SG flakes are still damp.
I should clarify that I don't put SG flakes in the microwave for 5 minutes, more like 10 seconds.

5-10 minutes of air drying does nothing in my experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I should clarify that I don't put SG flakes in the microwave for 5 minutes, more like 10 seconds.

5-10 minutes of air drying does nothing in my experience.
It does if you live in Nevada, or the SE in Summer. That's very variable in terms of RH! And the RH inside your house makes a wee difference.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Luxury Navy Flake ive been sitting out to dry for an hour and if l forget about for hour and a half thats fine too. But who knows? Next jar l open may not need that much time.

Reactions: kcghost

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You can’t spend 30 minutes reading threads here without being advised to “dry your tobacco.” The need for this necessarily will vary from blend to blend, based on how it was tinned. But I get the impression that a number of forum members dry their blends as a matter of course, regardless of the blend. They simply prefer drier—even “crunchy”—tobacco.

Sure, the drier it is, the easier it will burn. But it seems that folks might be robbing themselves of flavor for the sake of “dry.”

In a recent PMRS, Jeremy Reeves mentioned drying tobacco during a conversation about something else, and he mentioned drying for 5-10 minutes and how flavors can disappear from a blend that is no longer at its optimal humidity.

Confession: There is no blend that I dry as a matter of course. And I only rarely run across blends that require drying at all; when they do, it’s a matter of minutes…not hours or days.
it's a matter of personal taste and what is giving it the flavor. And just to make sure it's complicated and not clear cut your smoking technique will effect how the tobacco smokes too. A lot of people try and smoke something as dry as I like and can't not over smoke it which will kill flavor. So like everything else here there are factors that you can't change but what makes you happy in that rule set (can't think of a better term) is the right thing. But for me unless it's dry as dust or heavily cased or topped I get more flavor with crispy tobacco. And to again complicate things some aromatics keep their topping when dry and some loss it half way there.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There's dry, and there's dry. The opposite applies as well.
From my personal experience, tobacco on the drier side yields the best flavors because the burning rate is better and the pipe does not tend to become hot.
When the tobacco is too moist, or on the moist side, it is a ruining experience, for me. If I have to increase my puffing cadence and intensity to avoid multiple relights, or just keep the tobacco lit, the enjoyment goes out the window and the tobacco starts tasting awful.
in person when people ask me about how to smoke a pipe and technique. I say you're learning how to not have to fight or work for a smoke. Seems to help. Which is one of the reasons I like drier tobacco. It practically burns it's self so much easier to just let it do it's thing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Couple of years ago, I've gotten real lazy for about 6 months. I didn't dry any tobacco. Thinking back, it wasn't too bad. But didn't take any notes and I'm not sure what it was like. I should try again. I don't remember why I started drying again. Maybe that extra step makes me look like I give a crap.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's weird. Some of over dry with good results. Some watch the moisture carefully and dry it as if the Good Lord Himself is watching over the process with good results. Some of don't do a damn thing with good results. It just depends on the individual and the tobacco.