Are You Addicted To Nicotine?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Are You Addicted To Nicotine As a Pipe Smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 40 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I'm not a frequent enough smoker to get addicted, I also don't intentionally inhale but there is of course my own second hand smoke.

I'm wondrring what percentage of pipe smokers, on the forum anyway, feel they are addicted to nicotine. If so, do you inhale? I know you don't need to inhale to get a nic hit after smoking a bowl. Especially for you daily smokers im interested to see.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm gonna go with "no." I'm a near daily pipe smoker, but if I have to take a week or two off (say, to fulfill the semi-annual visit to the in-laws) I don't notice any ill effects. For reference, all my tobacco consumption is from pipes, with the occasional cigar. I've never been a cigarette smoker or dipper.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Yes I'm addicted to nicotine. I smoke 4 or 5 bowls a day, plus a few cigarettes.. with the occasional cigar or dip. I do not inhale my pipes, and I can say, as a nicotine hound... pipes don't provide much nicotine.. compared to dipping or smoking cigarettes. I will say though, the habit of smoking might be pretty strong with pipe smoking.

The ritual aspect of pipe smoking is a bigger part than the actual chemical aspect.. so the physical habit of smoking a pipe is the draw, IMO.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
After years of knowing the hell of nicotine addiction, and withdrawal I am confident in saying that I am not and very happy it is so. Those cigarettes (lung) and even some strong cigars can make your life miserable. If I had to quit a pipe tomorrow (the idea of which would make me miserable:mad::cry:) I can do so without any issues.
I find that really fascinating that as an ex nicotine addict you can smoke a pipe and not relapse. How often do you smoke a pipe? Are you on the patch or anything?

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I find that really fascinating that as an ex nicotine addict you can smoke a pipe and not relapse. How often do you smoke a pipe? Are you on the patch or anything?
Nope - I was always able to start and stop but then cigarettes became a major habit and I eventually quit cigarettes - went back to my occasional cigar after a reset period. That lead me to other options like the pipe and lowered my nic intake overall. DO it that way if you want to stop. Also stay away from the gum and patch - those make it worse - I was relapsing/smoking cigarette tobacco while chewing the gum

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I would love to say that I’m not addicted to nicotine anymore, but the fact that I tend to seek out stronger blends, and the fact that most of those don’t really provide enough nicotine for me to really notice, probably says that I still am to some degree. I don’t get all cranky and fidgety like I used to when I dipped/chewed and hadn’t had any though, so maybe less addicted to it than I used to be ?‍♂️
I think @Richmond B. Funkenhouser hit the nail on the head about pipe smoking being addictive in a different way. It’s what I’ve heard others call the “ritual” of pipe smoking that is addictive to me as well, though I’d have never thought to call it a ritual. “Ritual” makes it sound like there should be some sort of shaman or some virgin sacrifice or something. ?

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I was off tobacco from June 2019 -> May 2020 without any issues - that whole COVID locked up in the house nonsense made me so miserable that at first I didn't want to do anything - then it got so depressing that I said enough is enough I'm going back to exercising and smoking my pipe

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It’s what I’ve heard others call the “ritual” of pipe smoking that is addictive to me as well, though I’d have never thought to call it a ritual. “Ritual” makes it sound like there should be some sort of shaman or some virgin sacrifice or something. ?

Yep, I don't like the term either.. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the word should be habit. Same thing with "meditation".. I was taught by a sales manager years ago to "meditate", and it works. If I mention that to people they'll laugh. It's really just me slowing my brain for a few moments, no music, no incense, or crossed legs.. For me, the ritual of pipe smoking is related to this simple kind of meditation.

tomatamot

May 26, 2020
EU
I'm gonna go with "no." I'm a near daily pipe smoker, but if I have to take a week or two off (say, to fulfill the semi-annual visit to the in-laws) I don't notice any ill effects. For reference, all my tobacco consumption is from pipes, with the occasional cigar. I've never been a cigarette smoker or dipper.

Me too.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yep, I don't like the term either.. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the word should be habit. Same thing with "meditation".. I was taught by a sales manager years ago to "meditate", and it works. If I mention that to people they'll laugh. It's really just me slowing my brain for a few moments, no music, no incense, or crossed legs.. For me, the ritual of pipe smoking is related to this simple kind of meditation.
Yeah, absolutely.