Are VaPers the Biggest Rabbit Hole in Pipe Tobacco or is it Straight Va?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yessssss…. VaPers are sooo yesterday.

View attachment 107836

Come join us in our rabbit hole. Welcome, welcome!
Do those effing 'coons eat rabbit? Whether or not, I dislike them considerably.

Please
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I have wondered whether I'm unwittingly wending my way to the same path.

We've all heard our share of older pipe smokers say,
"I started on aromatics, but came to eschew them in favor of Latakia, which was much more serious, and which I smoked mainly for years. However, over the years, Latakia started to muddy everything else, and I began to notice much more complexity in VaPers, and eventually just straight VAs."

This comes up frequently enough to establish a definite pattern.

I have two explanatory theories, both or neither of which may have anything to do with it:

(a) It may be that the palate is "honed" over years of pipe smoking, growing in sensitivity until Latakia is a bull in the proverbial china shop. When this happens, the palate is sensitive enough to pick up on the complexities of VA.

(b) It may be that, as men age, they desire less "punchy" pleasures. Men who wanted to skydive and bungee jump in their 20s, may find themselves drawn to walking tours in the countryside, later in life. Perhaps this has a palate-parallel?

Again, the truth may have something to do with both or neither of these suggestions. Interested in feedback.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I must be a little different. I knew very early on that Latakia wasn’t for me. I eventually figured out that I really like Virginias (straights, VaPers, VaOrs), and they make up the bulk of my rotation. But I’ve always liked aromatics, and in the last few years I’ve found some burley blends I really like.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I am looking for suggestions of specific tobacco names, bulk or tinned that have low-med Nic hit. Yes I have and am searching the Tobacco review but it's still not the same as hearing someone say “I really like...”. I am also aware that what might hit one person lo can hit another one high, don't worry about that. I just want to know what -whoever may respond-enjoys. Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am looking for suggestions of specific tobacco names, bulk or tinned that have low-med Nic hit. Yes I have and am searching the Tobacco review but it's still not the same as hearing someone say “I really like...”. I am also aware that what might hit one person lo can hit another one high, don't worry about that. I just want to know what -whoever may respond-enjoys. Thanks!
You might want to start a new thread for that one.

VaPers by their nature are usually higher nicotine than straight Virginia, but you might like H&H Annie Kake. It is relatively lower nicotine.

Reactions: JOHN72

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
I really don’t understand peoples attitude about aromatics. I started on captain black 40 years ago and it’s still my every day favorite. I do enjoy some English or Balkan blends once in a while and I even smoke Sir Walter Raleigh regular once in a while. There are others that I might have on rare occasion but I like my Captain Black the best.