PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Originally Ropp was know more for its cherry wood pipes which were quite rustic for the most part. I have had one of those for for at least 10 years, and it came with a silver repair band and a replacement stem. However in the last year added two of their horn stem pipes. I have found no fault with any of them, they're just great smoking little pipes.
DSCF0334.jpeg

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Originally Ropp was know more for its cherry wood pipes which were quite rustic for the most part. I have had one of those for for at least 10 years, and it came with a silver repair band and a replacement stem. However in the last year added two of their horn stem pipes. I have found no fault with any of them, they're just great smoking little pipes.
View attachment 223649
They also used Apple wood and Pear wood, I have many and if I could dig them out I will post them on here, I love the rusticness and they smoked sweet.

When I talk to young artists/metalsmiths just starting out, I encourage them to raise their prices somewhat, not crazy expensive, but make it worth their while. They tend to have this notion that they are just starting out, and they feel they don't deserve a certain price point. But, then for selling their work at these art shows, they never make any sales because their work is too cheap. Even though Ropps are not new to the market, they are priced below where their customer's expect prices for good pipes to be. For me, when I see pipes below $200, I wonder what the hell is wrong with it. Who would expect a $50-70 pipe to smoke well?

Think of this, you are shopping for a wrench, and all of the pipe wrenches are priced between $25 to $70 range, except this one, which is priced at $5. It could be that the $5 wrench is made with the same steel, off the same assembly line as the $50 wrenches, but the company thought that pricing them really low would make more sales. But, when the customers see the prices, they stay away from the $5 wrenches, except a few idiots who are going to use it as a paperweight anyways, so it doesn't matter to them.

Ropps are priced too low. No one ever asks if Savinellis are worth it, well... except a few freaks on here, ha ha. But, Ropps come up time and time again. Why? Because the price makes us cautious.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
When I talk to young artists/metalsmiths just starting out, I encourage them to raise their prices somewhat, not crazy expensive, but make it worth their while. They tend to have this notion that they are just starting out, and they feel they don't deserve a certain price point. But, then for selling their work at these art shows, they never make any sales because their work is too cheap. Even though Ropps are not new to the market, they are priced below where their customer's expect prices for good pipes to be. For me, when I see pipes below $200, I wonder what the hell is wrong with it. Who would expect a $50-70 pipe to smoke well?

Think of this, you are shopping for a wrench, and all of the pipe wrenches are priced between $25 to $70 range, except this one, which is priced at $5. It could be that the $5 wrench is made with the same steel, off the same assembly line as the $50 wrenches, but the company thought that pricing them really low would make more sales. But, when the customers see the prices, they stay away from the $5 wrenches, except a few idiots who are going to use it as a paperweight anyways, so it doesn't matter to them.

Ropps are priced too low. No one ever asks if Savinellis are worth it, well... except a few freaks on here, ha ha. But, Ropps come up time and time again. Why? Because the price makes us cautious.
I think they are priced right, and smoke fine for a cheap pipe. I also think that you can get better at the same price and much better for just a wee bit more. If they raised their prices sales would fall off a cliff.

Now for the readers of this blog, I am still in diapers and @cosmicfolklore is a Knowledgeable professor. I write this knowing he will put me in a chokehold within minutes.... wait for it....

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I think they are priced right, and smoke fine for a cheap pipe. I also think that you can get better at the same price and much better for just a wee bit more. If they raised their prices sales would fall off a cliff.

Now for the readers of this blog, I am still in diapers and @cosmicfolklore is a Knowledgeable professor. I write this knowing he will put me in a chokehold within minutes.... wait for it....
Do you have Ropps? And, they didn't smoke well for you?
I have three, and they are very fine pipes that smoke really well. I would have easily paid twice as much for one.
No, no chokeholds, but I am surprised that anyone who has one would say that they don't smoke well.... but of course I have seen all sorts of things said on here, ha ha.

Also, what other pipes are priced this cheap? Besides bucket pipes?

Reactions: edger
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Do you have Ropps? And, they didn't smoke well for you?
I have three, and they are very fine pipes that smoke really well. I would have easily paid twice as much for one.
No, no chokeholds, but I am surprised that anyone who has one would say that they don't smoke well.... but of course I have seen all sorts of things said on here, ha ha.

Also, what other pipes are priced this cheap? Besides bucket pipes?
I did say they smoke well, but qualified it with "for a cheap pipe". I own 2. I use 1 for a car pipe after work. Wall is thin and gets hot quickly. I think it feels inferior. Other is small and feels like a toy to me. I got nothing against them, just don't think they are 'good' and there are other options. I still do smoke the one in my car for my short 10 minute commute. (I have a rotation of 3 pipes in my truck)

Brigham, Nording, Vauen, Stanwell, and estate choices. Morgan Bones is a great option.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You guys are a bunch of enablers. Just ordered this. Ropp Etudiant
002-598-15898.7167.jpg

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have it on good authority and it can be easily gleaned from SP that all Ropp's are old Comoy stummels so they were already produced and Ropp has only to finish them off.
Maybe this might help shed some light on the cheap price point and why they are even a better deal with drier aged briar. As always YMMV.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I bought one from SP (Algerian briar), and never got to smoke it. It was brand new but the vulcanite stem was very loose and highly oxidized right out of the box. And it smelled rancid. So I took a picture (below) of the oxidation on the stem and emailed it to SP customer service. The replied quickly with a shipping label to return the pipe.

20230525_164232.jpg

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
This is a great topic as I also have been looking at a Ropp and was surprised by their purchase price. Have not pulled the trigger yet as I am deciding what shape would best smoke english blends. Thinking maybe a tomato, pot, but also love the look of the sandblasted Rhodesian line. 🤔

Reactions: edger and MattRVA