Are Pipe "Innovations" Just Marketing Gimmicks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Title edited. Rule 9. -jpm

Can't help noticing how many 'innovations' and patents were used in vintage pipes, especially British brands such as Comoy and Dunhill, numerous types of stingers/metal filters/weird shaped tenon, and the "inner tube" which no one ever uses. After decades of innovation smokers nowadays still prefer high-end pipes to have a standard 3-4mm hole with nothing in between as if those "innovations" never occured. So were they all marketing gimmicks or do any of it really improved smoking quality in your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
do any of it really improved smoking quality in your experience?

Anecdotal information can be informative. Sales records would be a better indicator for your question. Then there is the number of pipes with so-called innovative features, appearing wherever used pipes are sold. Some of these obviously much loved, well-smoked "beaters", judging from the pictures which appear on this site.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
My suspicion is that most of the “innovations” were aimed at trying to market to “newbies” in pipe smoking…. and these same “innovations” were typically some sort of doo-dad or gizmo to attempt to address one of the many “newbie problems” like too much moisture, a hot, stinging smoke….
etc that could drive the newbie away from pipe smoking.

Broadly, I suspect most long standing pipe smokers are used to, are comfortable with, and know how to finesse standard pipes to provide a grand experience…. and the “innovations” are normally ignored….as long as they are not getting in the way of they typical enjoyment of a bowlful of pipe tobacco.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well there are things to consider. Like even if they work are they going to increase sales enough to justify the added production costs and extra sourcing issues? The pipe market isn't big enough to worry about those things. Also if you look at pipes during that time period it's almost all classic shapes and by the 70's the outside of the pipe became more seemingly where the this is a different pipe buy it cause it's special starts happening. And some of these gimmicks are still around and notice they're either the easiest to implement or they are the signature of the brand. Examples Peterson system pipes you just drill it differently and Falcon that's what falcons are.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Based on my dives into period advertising I'd say no. Most of the various gadgets and structural designs aren't even mentioned, so marketing isn't the point. Marketing wasn't quite as relentless a force as it has been for the past 30-40 years. Most of these appear to have been honest attempts to provide an improved product.

When Barling designed the modern flat bite zone in the late 1920's they took out a Design Registration on it and I've seen a brief mention in a couple of ads, but not much. Their dealers could pitch some of the gadgetry available at the counter. More to the point was cosmetics, like a special stain, or sandblasting. That was something they could pitch to the consumer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My take is that historically, in the 19th and first half of the 20th Century, the tobacco pipe market was much larger than today, more of an industry, so whether the patents were gimmicks or product innovations, they were definitely competitive, to capture an edge on sales. Stingers, screw-on stems with stingers, moisture draining systems, carburetors, various bits and buttons, and so on, were definitely presented as improvements to the smoking characteristics of pipes, aimed at the customer base. In hind sight, they may look like gimmicks, and many didn't seem to have that much benefit in actual smoking. But they were important in sales, and to some degree, some of them still are. After the Surgeon General's report on smoking and other health concerns, filters were added to the list, and still remain, especially for the European market. At one point I owned a Carey carburetor pipe, and I still own one of the Kaywoodie Drinkless pipes from when they still had the screw-on stem with stinger. The carburetor struck me as a mere gimmick, and I taped up the vents on the stem and eventually unloaded the pipe. The Drinkless pipe, however, is a snappy smoker, and cleaning the stinger is quick and easy, so I have kept the pipe and still enjoy that gimmick, if that is what it is. Interestingly, when I bought the pipe, which is a sort of author shape, it was quite plain Jane, with a matte finish and carved grooves in the bowl and stem, but over time, the finish has brightened and now it has a sort of reddish glow shining through the matte finish that is subtly fetching, or so I think.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I collect as many of the "odd ball" pipes as I can. Some work better than others. I don't think they were gimmicks in the regular sense of the word. Much like razors in that same time period, you had a whole bunch of competing companies trying to stand out, and hoping they'd hit the next "big thing"...some of the razors ~ THEY had some real odd ball designs ~ proprietary blades, self-sharpening, but I digress.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Based on my dives into period advertising I'd say no. Most of the various gadgets and structural designs aren't even mentioned, so marketing isn't the point. Marketing wasn't quite as relentless a force as it has been for the past 30-40 years. Most of these appear to have been honest attempts to provide an improved product.

When Barling designed the modern flat bite zone in the late 1920's they took out a Design Registration on it and I've seen a brief mention in a couple of ads, but not much. Their dealers could pitch some of the gadgetry available at the counter. More to the point was cosmetics, like a special stain, or sandblasting. That was something they could pitch to the consumer.
So basically it wasn't about getting new customers as much as creating customer loyalty.

Reactions: sablebrush52

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Innovation always comes with a cost. Humans will always try to build a better fly trap.

Stingers are as varied as it comes. Some work better that others and some are bizarre.

But one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
From an economic & marketing standpoint, "gimmicks" are thought of more as short-term attention grabbing sales drivers, while a genuine "innovations" would be more considered as a progression or advancement in a product or industry.

i.e., the Peterson System Pipe, with it's moisture reservoir was an innovation, not a gimmick.

Similarly, the FIRST "stinger" on a pipe was an innovation. Slight modifications to those might be considered gimmicks. For example, the "Magic Inch" pipes made by E.A. Carey contain a modified stinger and vent system, unique to them.

The phrase "often imitated, never duplicated" comes to mind. That is to say that many people try to copy an innovation ny putting their own spin on it... their gimmick, but none are as good as the original. ?

Reactions: jiminy and kcghost

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
If nobody attempted to try anything new or different, then there would never be any chance for change, improvements, or otherwise. Seems like that would be boring overall.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I wouldn't be surprised if most pipe "innovations" were just attempts to help newbies avoid tongue bite.
I am reading this thread while smoking my favorite Radice twin-bore. It is dedicated to VA blends. Seem like they were to help with tongue bite by spreading the smoke out a bit in your mouth.

I think it’s one of the better gimmicks. It sure smokes well and helped me as I cut my teeth on VAs.

Reactions: kcghost and FLDRD

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So basically it wasn't about getting new customers as much as creating customer loyalty.
Customer loyalty often begets new customers. The advertising is very sedate, with the exception of Sasieni, who used celebrity endorsements to sell their product. But almost none of the advertising centers on a technological innovation. There are rare exceptions.

Service also played a big role. The majors had service departments where you could send your pipes for cleaning and/or repair. Wanted a case for your pipe(s)? They would make one for you. Very different business model than is practiced today.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
6mm balsa, 9mm charcoal, Brigham distilators, different bit materials, falcon pipes, P-lip, army mount, oil curing, bowl coating, and system pipes could all have been considered "gimmicks".
Some things resonate with the consumer, some things don't.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob