PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wonder if you have tribal smoke shops there like we do out in the PNW? If so might be worth a try.
Whereabouts?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I find it curious how difficult it is to get pipe tobacco in person in the United States.
The data says that there are approximately 3 million pipe smokers in the United States.
They are also the place where most tobacco is cellared.
Taking into account post like this and reading comments from many who complain about not having a Tobacco or Pipe store nearby or not getting tobacco in their areas.
I wonder why this situation occurs?
Could it be that online sellers are taking the big cut?

Reactions: coys

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
There are three tobacco shops in the major city where I live, that I know of. Those all have an excellent selection.

Otherwise, at the local Walgreens they've had the same few pouches of Captain Black white and the same (I think) Dr. Grabow pipe behind the counter in a plastic box for a long time. Most Walgreens stores dont, it seems.

You can also find really cheap stuff like Gambler at some of those head shops that cater more to drug users.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I find it curious how difficult it is to get pipe tobacco in person in the United States.
The data says that there are approximately 3 million pipe smokers in the United States.
Taking into account post like this and reading comments from many who complain about not having a Tobacco or Pipe store nearby or not getting tobacco in their areas.
The online shops are cheaper and have a much better selection. But I try to support the local B&M by buying a tin or two whenever I'm in the area. Most of them have the basics, a selection of pipes, some bulk jars, and various tins of the major brands.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
You're in Champa Bay, Florida? Getting OTCs is a complete lost cause around here (central NY). The one decent source I had in Geneva NY has become a reeking head shop. I like OTCs, and if that's all I want, I use West Virginia Smoke Shop. They're pretty quick on delivery, and have bulk match blends besides the originals.

https://wvsmokeshop.com/

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
I was wanting to ask the same thing for the Raleigh, NC area. Hoping to find a local place to get pouches of SWRA, HnH, CH, PrinceA, and Grangers, but so far nothing but Cap Black.

Luckily there is Pipes By George's B&M for bulk and tins. I don't mind ordering online, just like to shop local as much as possible.
In Raleigh area you can go to a SmokersFriendly and they will have pouches of Capt. Black and Borkham Riff and SWR. There is one not far off 540 Creedmoor Rd I believe. Call your nearer steam shops (vapes are not smoke, no one can change my mind), some of them that didn't pop up over night has some. There is a tobacco shop in Briarcreek near the Walmart there that has them too.

Then for some variety go back to a JR's . I keep CB and HandH on hand but have been exploring Mac Barens in between. Don't be afraid to try the "budget blends" either like Smokers Pride.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC

Bare in mind to that 3 million folks can fit in New York City alone. The US is a HUGE country and we are all spread all over the place. That 3 mill wouldn't even necessarily equate to 2 or 3 of our esteemed colleagues being in the same area or even as close as 1-200 miles of each other.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've been searching every where, all the drug stores around me, wally world and the only thing I have found is Capt'n Black. Anyone know what stores actually carry the old codger blends? I'm in central Florida.
No, drug stores in most areas no longer carry any non-cigarette or dip tobacco. Some grocery stores may, but typically some pouches only. This is why I refer to the blends as "Classic Blends" rather than "OTC" since they really aren't widely available any more.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Bare in mind to that 3 million folks can fit in New York City alone. The US is a HUGE country and we are all spread all over the place. That 3 mill wouldn't even necessarily equate to 2 or 3 of our esteemed colleagues being in the same area or even as close as 1-200 miles of each other.
That analysis could be correct. But curiously, it is repeated in large urban areas that should have a better offer of B&M tobacco shops. Very little in Florida, including Miami, there are hardly any tobacco shops worth visiting in New York and elsewhere as well. Some things I have experienced and others I have read in posts on this forum. I live in the metropolitan area of Buenos Aires and not only in the city are there at least 5 or 6 tobacco shops (that I visit regularly, there are several more that I have not visited) but there is one in my city, one in the city of to the side and one in the city continues to the previous one. One would think that, being the United States, there should be a lot of supply, at least one tobacco shop in each medium-sized city or town.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It depends on where you are. Florida is a big cigar state. Most major cities are very anti-tobacco so there isn’t the presence you expect to match population.

I can still go into gas stations and delis and find blends like half and half, and captain black. I’m also in a pretty heavy dip/chew population so that’s also regularly available at the same places.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
No, drug stores in most areas no longer carry any non-cigarette or dip tobacco. Some grocery stores may, but typically some pouches only. This is why I refer to the blends as "Classic Blends" rather than "OTC" since they really aren't widely available any more.

Yeah, I wonder if that's why "codger blend" has really taken off as a term over the last 10 years or so. The only time I'd use "OTC blend" would be if I wanted to be ironic.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yeah, I wonder if that's why "codger blend" has really taken off as a term over the last 10 years or so. The only time I'd use "OTC blend" would be if I wanted to be ironic.
I also try to stay away from the term "codger" mostly because I like the classic and new school blends as do many people that wouldn't identify themselves as "codgers" so I don't think it's a good label.

Reactions: ThermionicScott