PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay the model for Bond has had many claimants. If I was to make my guess it could have been Dusko Popov the Serbian chap. The other fellow was the head of the Paris Station whose name eludes me. It could have been an amalgam of people Fleming knew - I guess we will never really know but its fun to try and guess! Wasn't Hillgarth the pre war ski champion?
Ski champion? Nah, he was British Consul & Naval Attaché, failed novelist & explorer.

Regards the Bond connection, I read that in the Duff Hart-Dais book about Hillgarth.

Alan Hillgarth - Wikipedia

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are several reasons why I haven't subscribed to any streaming services but the main one is that if I bought into say Netflix, then I'd kind of feel obliged to watch their offerings over the regular broadcast channels (irrespective of the quality of the output) just to convince myself that I was getting my money's worth.

And this is why I believe that either the end is nigh for such business models or as some have said above, that great changes must be made for them to survive. People are wising up and are starting to demand quality over quantity.

We have reached saturation point and as I said earlier, Hollywood in trying to keep the streaming companies happy and keep on producing pretty dire output that though designed for the masses, is just televisual pap.

Regards,

Jay.
Netflix isn't going away. That's just silly. But there's so much BS going on worldwide by stupid humans that silly is becoming the commonplace version of commentary.

Streaming services will be undergoing adaptive behavior in an effort to thrive.

Anyone who seriously thinks the end is nigh for streaming seriously needs to take the blinders off. Every day, in every way, people are becoming more about pictures than words, which is a shame, but which is happening.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime all the time but other streaming services I dip in and out. At the moment I've got NOW TV for the Formula One but once the season ends i'll cancel. Same goes for Disney+ they've got the Sex Pistols and the Obi-Wan Kenobi series coming up so I'll subscribe once they begin and unsubscribe when the series end.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, with respect I never stated they would go away, just that that particular business model will likely not survive without big change. I'm sure Netflix is here to stay....but wearing different clothes.

Regards,

Jay.
You're absolutely correct. For one thing, services like Netflix are going to tighten up on their formerly laissez faire policies towards password sharing. That's costing them a LOT of revenue. They'll set up price tiers for use, like a lower price for allowing commercials - something HULU did a decade ago - and higher prices for intermittent use if intermitten use is driving up their costs. They're businesses, not charities.

Some people will howl about how unfair it is, but that's BS, they're just ticked off that they've lost an unearned advantage. People can choose to not subscribe.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
The writers can be colossally ignorant and/or stupid a lot of the time. Some of them have Commanders senior to Captains/Colonels and Commodores/Brigadiers.

Woman pulls a mangled copper jacket out of their fake corpse and the guy watching declares out of nowhere "That's a .243!" Amazing! Out of all the cartridges with bullets of that approximate diameter, his eyeballs can identify the exact one?

Another time when the tiny mangled hunk of lead is pulled from another fake corpse, declares "That's a 41mm!" Say what? That's just a silly millimeter greater in diameter to the 40mm (1.63 ? inches) grenades our old Mk19 machine gun used.

When I repeatedly saw such careless inattention to details, my willing suspension of disbelief vanished, and certain shows lost me from their audience forever. To the point where the only TV show I watch at all any more is LSSC, and I watch it on YouTube far more often than over the air.

Sometimes when trying to read while my wife watches her shows, I see promos for some of the new shows coming out, and far too often the conclusion I draw from them is that the particular show is too: 1) disgusting, 2) demeaning, or C) stupid for me to waste my time on.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I have Netflix and Amazon Prime all the time but other streaming services I dip in and out. At the moment I've got NOW TV for the Formula One but once the season ends i'll cancel. Same goes for Disney+ they've got the Sex Pistols and the Obi-Wan Kenobi series coming up so I'll subscribe once they begin and unsubscribe when the series end.
Chris I have Netflix,Prime, and ITV Hub quality drama and no adverts for £3.50 a month worth every penny in my book.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: Suspension of disbelief. I guess I've learned to accept some of the absurdities in crime drama. My favorite pet peeve is the "ability" to take a scan (as from a CCTV camera) that's maybe 480x600, and 50 meters away, and zoom in to read the license plate that comes out in HD after being zoomed in 4-8 times!

IDing caliber by eye has not caught my attention as the speaker may be talking out his behind, have previous knowledge, or a lucky guess.

I doubt there's a single movie or series that doesn't have some impossible conclusions, gaffes, or anachronisms. Trying now to overlook the insertion of actors in situations where their type would be an anachronism of major proportions.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yep.
My tongue was firmly in cheek on my original post.

That said, the current incarnation of the internet will inevitably be replaced by something we probably would have a hard time envisioning today.
Oh for sure. The whole meta internet, Web 3 thing that's getting off the ground is going to be one hell of a screwing to everyone. But they'll sell it like it's the greatest gift to mankind since sex.

I have some glimmers of what just bejond the horizon since my brother had spent years working on developing the science behind it and communication technology is going to end up being something akin to ESP.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I am all set, what with the receivers/transmitters injected along with my Covid vaccinations. Those little chips, while invisible in the fluid, don't hurt going in, but now have settled in my feet, which now crunch when I walk.

Anyone need a bridge? Bus or train?

Jun 9, 2018
England
Chris I have Netflix,Prime, and ITV Hub quality drama and no adverts for £3.50 a month worth every penny in my book.
The only problem with having all these streaming services is I find I become overwhelmed with content. The amount of stuff I have in my watch lists is insane. The amount of crap that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest is pretty big as well. Especially on Netflix.

I watch mostly situational comedy (Sillier the better) and preferably NOT intended for mature audiences. Hulu has worked so far but a lot is missing.

The other genre I watch often are educational documentaries-Netflix is somewhat OK, but probably I should get PBS or Discovery.

The choice of programming has gone down in both Netflix and Prime. At this point in time there is very little I enjoy in Prime.

Also a lot of propaganda, misinformation, conspiracy theory etc… are now offered as educational documentaries everywhere.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Oh for sure. The whole meta internet, Web 3 thing that's getting off the ground is going to be one hell of a screwing to everyone. But they'll sell it like it's the greatest gift to mankind since sex.

I have some glimmers of what just bejond the horizon since my brother had spent years working on developing the science behind it and communication technology is going to end up being something akin to ESP.
No doubt. When full up AI becomes embedded into the fabric of the web/ everything it’s going to be something that’s difficult to deal with.