PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I've been using a torch flame lighter with a LePeltier ceramic pipe for breezy outdoor smoking. Works great. Light a folded flake and the breeze will help keep it lit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nope, they are fantastic for their intended purpose - to light a cigar. They can take that kind of abuse and give you a great smoke. Used with a pipe, you're inviting tongue burn and damaging the pipe rim, neither is necessary.

Sep 18, 2015
Most of the torches, even turned all the way down reach temperatures close to 2000 degrees, this will instantly scorch your new pipe and the tobacco. The idea is to gently coax the tobacco to an ember for the best taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe you could learn to light a pipe with any flame, but I'd use the softest flame available, which is usually matches. Hold the match over the tobacco and draw the flame into the tobacco by drawing on the pipe.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Considering I scorched the bejesus out of a cob one time with my zippo, the flames that erupt from one of those jet lighters could have set the whole cob on fire. I did actually try one with a cob, just for the sake of science. I had one of my old cobs and found a jet lighter left by someone out on our outside tables by the smoking area. I didn't even give it much thought at the time, but I lit that sucker up and it definitely put a burn on the side of my pipe. I really wasn't expecting it to shoot out that far. Those things definitely shouldn't be used to light a pipe you care about, little on the tobacco in a pipe you DON'T care about. I just see it vaporizing your tobacco and making it taste very unpleasant.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you burn out a briar using a torch, the manufacturer won't replace the pipe. It's very easy for a trained eye to determine whether it was caused by a flaw in the wood or a torch flame lighter.
Russ

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's what it looks like. I warned the owner of this pipe not use torch lighters. That pipe is less than a year old. Quite a mess.
7oMaV9d.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Wow, this looks bad. But how couldn't he see that the rim is burning like hell? Colour, deformation, come on! A person like him should use only meerschaum or clay pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.