PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I have a Dunhill Cumberland from the early 80s. I like that it's quite light but other than that I'm not particularly fond of it. I think it's a $75 pipe that sells for over $400. That's OK since I bought it at a flea market for $3. I've often thought about selling it and getting something I thought was actually worth the money but then I wouldn't have a Dunhill to show my friends and then watch their faces when I tell them what I paid for it. My honest opinion is; unless you find one at an antique store or flea market for under $100 buy something else. Dunhill tobaccy is worth the price though...except maybe the Navy Rolls.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Stanlaurel,
I've smoked a lot of Dunhills, mostly from the 1930s through the 1960s. Now I have only one that I don't smoke but my preferences are only relevant to me. I agree with others here that you'll have to make this determination for yourself.
Please send regards to Ollie.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm fairly new to the pipe as well. I've only smoked one Dunhill and it wasn't the life changing experience I was hoping for. I have an old Parker that I restored myself and I choose it over the Dunhill more often. I've come to the realization that no matter what name is on it... it's like a friend. I just get along well with some and others not so much.
Great info in this thread! Thanx so much!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have Dunhills from the 1920's to the 1980's. Some are great smokers and some are not. Just like Artisan pipes......not every one is fantastic. Just because its HANDMADE and one of a kind does not guarantee a great smoker-- its always a bit hit or miss. I just bought a little Dunhill bent from 1922. I normally don't smoke bents but this one called to me.........Gaslight was made for this pipe, it practically smokes itself. Yes, they are expensive, but in my experience, they also hold their value. If one doesn't work for you, sell it for what you paid, and someone else may think its the pipe of a lifetime...........

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
As a Brit. smoker, it was only through Forums that I became aware of the culture of pipe collecting originating in US; we just smoked them!
Dunhills were always regarded as the first among equals in UK - Barlings, Comoys, Loewes etc, were just as good and, in particular, Charatans were thought of as excellent pipes (the straight grain on a "dead root" Dunhill would make a Charatan owner chuckle). Many blue collar Brits managed to acquire a Dunhill as a one-off present for a special birthday or retirement but they were not thought of as giving "bragging rights".
For collectors, I'm sure it's the ability to date them accurately that encouraged their popularity above some other old Brit. brands.
Of course they are good pipes, but as for a "life changing experience" I don't believe any brand of pipe can guarantee that; it's more the individual pipe than the name of the maker. I have Dunhills from 1944 through to 1982 and some are excellent (a '44, a '54 and a '81), others are very good, a couple are just "OK" and there is one "magic pipe" (a '62).
I'm not able to comment much on the difference between these good "factory pipes" and artisan pipes as there is little culture of individual carvers in UK [OK, Ashton (ex Dunhill), Upshall (ex Charatan), Ferndown (ex Dunhill) and now Northern Briars and Askwith pipes (which are excellent BTW)].
So, yes, they are as good as they look - but there are others and none are guaranteed to be magical (although they may shorten the odds).

Aug 14, 2012
MSO: I do not scorn other pipes. I have about 76 pipes that are not Dunhills, most of them are very good to excellent. They include Lasse Skovgaards, Benni Jorgensens, Savinelli Giubileo D'oros, Radices, Petersons, Hilsons, meerschaums, cobs and one pipe each from Rad, Ascorti, Wilke.

I do prefer the Dunhills though. It is not the name or the finish or even the resale value. It is the taste and the shapes that I like. Last count is 104, but I did agree to sell one that I rarely smoked.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm just getting back into the hobby and it seems like 75% of the pipes I looked at and said "wow, that's a nice looking pipe", we're Dunhill's. I just bought my 3rd Bruyere. That's going to be the last one for quite a while though. I burned through most of my hobby money for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.