Are Decorative Tobacco Jars Good for Storage?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have experience with both, the mason jars are much better. What I found out with the wire bail jars is you had to be certain to perfectly center the lid before clamping or it could leak. Bottom line, tobacco left in 3 wire bail jars dried substantially in a years time. Perhaps your experience has been different, that was mine with all three jars.
I defer to your experience. I've never used wire bail jars, only mason, for cost reasons.

Reactions: OlJawBone
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I defer to your experience. I've never used wire bail jars, only mason, for cost reasons.
The only advantage I see to the wire bail jars is convenience for accessing the contents. I think they're fine for short term storage (a few months). Even if they cost the same, IMHO, they're inferior to Mason jars for long term storage. When you factor in the higher cost, they don't make any cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's interesting that the decorative jar makers haven't tumbled to the way to make their jars seal well for the intended purpose of tobacco storage. Most of them a too nostalgic for my liking anyway.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
All they need to do is make them with silicone gaskets and problem solved.
I think the Fido brand Italian bail top jars do have silicone gaskets. I haven’t had any issues with the few I have… yet. Knock on wood. I don’t have any really “precious” blends in them. Just in case. They seem good to go so far though. I have not had good luck with any other brand bail top jar though.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
All they need to do is make them with silicone gaskets and problem solved.
I believe the Container Store sells different sizes of silicone gaskets. I got a replacement gasket for a gasket I lost for a plastic food container. Unless I'm getting store names mixed up again.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I would never mess around with anything other than mylar and Ball brand mason jars. Why roll the dice and risk a subpar experience, even if only regarding a small amount of leaf? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

Gosh, I sound like a 72 year old man, twice my actual age. If When I'm actually 72, will I sound like I'm 144? ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would never mess around with anything other than mylar and Ball brand mason jars. Why roll the dice and risk a subpar experience, even if only regarding a small amount of leaf? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

Gosh, I sound like a 72 year old man, twice my actual age. If When I'm actually 72, will I sound like I'm 144? ?
when your 72 you will stop wearing socks and only mumble about how everything used to be better. Doesn't matter what. You eat a cookie you'll mumble how they used to be better, if you get kicked in the jimmy you'll complain mumble about how jimmy kicks used to be better. So yeah what you say checks out. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I picked up a flip top tobacco jars at Goodwill about 3 or so years ago with rubber type gasket that seems to be still in good shape. The only thing I do with mine is to rehydrate tobacco and have only done this 3 times maybe. I have plenty of canning/jelly jars from earlier times in life. My wife still buys the Ball Limited Editions when they come out and lets me know they are there for me if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.