Are Decorative Tobacco Jars Good for Storage?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Edited Title for clarity and capitalization. Please see Rule 9.

Just like the title says. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't just use a mason jar for a fraction of the price and with the ability to see the level without opening.

Last edited by a moderator:

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Are you talking about the ceramic swing top jars that usually have logos? From what I’ve heard they’re made more for decorative purposes than for any reasonable length of storage
yeah those, and the logoless ones as well that sell for 40 bucks and stuff. makes sense its just decorative.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
yeah those, and the logoless ones as well that sell for 40 bucks and stuff. makes sense its just decorative.
Yeah, I believe the seals aren’t all that great. A few months back there was an offer where if you ordered X amount Sutliff you got a “free” Sutliff branded jar. I almost pulled the trigger, I’m a sucker for free swag. They are nice looking. I guess you can always use it for pipe cleaners or supplies if doesn’t work well for tobacco

Reactions: OlJawBone

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
To answer your question I’m sure their are people out their that do. I don’t, I like mason jars. However it’s your tobacco and you can store it anyway you like. I don’t think there is any harm to experiment. My dad stored his in a porcelain jar.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I use mason jars but did get the Sutliff jar with a bulk order from SP. I filled it with Match RR. It's holding up just fine and the tobacco isn't drying out. I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage, but for something cheap I'm going to scoop into regularly, sure why not. Isn't any worse than keeping SWR, Granger and such in the original tub.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Not me. I use mason jars not because I think they work better, but because they're much cheaper. I don't think mason jars necessarily seal better than wire-bail jars which is what I think you're describing. Both seal with rubber on glass and I don't see why one system is better than the other. In-fact, I think silicon seals on wire bail top jars might work the best for air-tightness, as silicon seems more durable and pliable than rubber.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not me. I use mason jars not because I think they work better, but because they're much cheaper. I don't think mason jars necessarily seal better than wire-bail jars which is what I think you're describing. Both seal with rubber on glass and I don't see why one system is better than the other. In-fact, I think silicon seals on wire bail top jars might work the best for air-tightness, as silicon seems more durable and pliable than rubber.
I have experience with both, the mason jars are much better. What I found out with the wire bail jars is you had to be certain to perfectly center the lid before clamping or it could leak. Bottom line, tobacco left in 3 wire bail jars dried substantially in a years time. Perhaps your experience has been different, that was mine with all three jars.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I just pulled some 20 year old McClelland 2000 from the clear Italian wire-bale jar in which it resided for most of those years, and without any hydration, it was the perfect, slightly moist, consistency I like.
If you are not looking to store your open tobacco for more than a couple of years, my economy suggestion is the empty plastic container in which Talenti Gelato comes. I have had great success with these and with the occasional inclusion of a small Boveda packet, if I notice the tobacco drying. They keep frozen food well preserved and air tight, why not tobacco?
And, you get to eat some fabulous gelato.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have four ceramic or earthernware tobacco humidors. Three of them were found in junktique shops and I sterilized them and replaced the rubber seals. One (Made by Denby in England) has a screw clamp on the top and I use it as a collection jar for blends that either I didn't like or didn't have enough left for a full bowl. The tobacco in it has stayed and smokeable. The other two jars (Made by Comoy's) have tight enough seals that I can put tobacco in them and it will stay fresh for over a month. Currently only the humidor with the screw clamp has tobacco in it.

My wife gave me a smaller ceramic jar with a wooden lid with a hygrometer built into it. I use that as my daily smoker jar. The seal on it is tight enough where I can pick up the jar by the lid and not worry about it the jar falling off.

Most of my tobacco is stored either in the sealed tins I bought or in mason jars.

I also have a plastic tobacco humidor with a plastic pipe on top of the lid. I only use that to hold loose change like a bank.

Reactions: OlJawBone

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have three “fancy” jars that I use. They have blends that I churn through. I also have several French made flip tops with silicone gaskets for up to medium range storage. Everything else is mason jars.

I’m not a hater or a superior tobacconist. It’s funny how “absolute” so many people are.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I just pulled some 20 year old McClelland 2000 from the clear Italian wire-bale jar in which it resided for most of those years, and without any hydration, it was the perfect, slightly moist, consistency I like.
If you are not looking to store your open tobacco for more than a couple of years, my economy suggestion is the empty plastic container in which Talenti Gelato comes. I have had great success with these and with the occasional inclusion of a small Boveda packet, if I notice the tobacco drying. They keep frozen food well preserved and air tight, why not tobacco?
And, you get to eat some fabulous gelato.
We have a literal shit ton of those. My wife loves that! and we save every one to store stuff in - like misc. screws and bolts, etc. The uses are almost limitless and their size is just right for a lot of different things.

Reactions: LotusEater and dino
Status
Not open for further replies.