Are Certain Style Of Pipes Easier To Smoke To The Bottom?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
As soon as the snap crackle and pop starts, I dump the bowl. Never liked the dregs. I bet I waste 25% of what I stuff.

That’s what I was feeling guilty about (I blame Catholics school)... thanks for all the above replies which really shed light on my quandary. I think I will go for a pipe with a stout bowl such as a bulldog when I make my next purchase.

Reactions: BROBS and briarbuck

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I don't know the answer to this question. But, it seems I get further down the chimney on my corn cob pipes than any of the others. The Corn Cobs do have a unique draft hole.
I've been finding that also interestingly. Not my favorite pipes but sometimes I am amazed the smoke I get when I break one back out after a long while.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not hard to smoke, but the words "stout bowl" made me caution as to thin nature of walls at the heel of the pipe.

An author would be more robust.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To answer in a more serious way, I can say in my experience, tapered bowls are more difficult to smoke to the bottom. Only conjecture on my part, but many of the tapered bowls can get fairly narrow at the bottom. So there's very little tobacco area to soak up moisture. The bottom 1/4" or so can quite wet which makes it difficult to smoke.

That's been my experience. Can't say it has been others and cannot offer any scientific explanation either. And that doesn't deter me from purchasing or smoking a pipe with a tapered bowl either. When I consider my top 10 metrics for choosing a pipe, smoking to the bottom of the bowl more easily due to bowl geometry doesn't make my list.

Reactions: seanv and briarbuck

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I hardly ever smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

This is why I started putting a pinch of codger blend in the pipe before I loaded the bowl with what I really want to smoke. This way when I dump out the dottle, I’m not throwing away the good stuff.

Jan 27, 2020
I hardly ever smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

This is why I started putting a pinch of codger blend in the pipe before I loaded the bowl with what I really want to smoke. This way when I dump out the dottle, I’m not throwing away the good stuff.

Won’t the heating of the codger effect the flavor of the other tobacco to a certain extent?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
To answer the question in the caption, the answer is yes, cavalier pipes where the draft hole is drilled vertically into the chamber from above. See Cavalier - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier.

Moretti Cavalier 1.jpg
I have to be careful not to burn the bottom of this Moretti smoking the last bit of tobacco. I also have a Mummert with the same airway configuration and it too will smoke to the bottom and burn wood if I'm not careful.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9
Jan 27, 2020
To answer the question in the caption, the answer is yes, cavalier pipes where the draft hole is drilled vertically into the chamber from above. See Cavalier - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier.

View attachment 22443
I have to be careful not to burn the bottom of this Moretti smoking the last bit of tobacco. I also have a Mummert with the same airway configuration and it too will smoke to the bottom and burn wood if I'm not careful.

That’s looks like the representation of a hermaphrodite as a pipe.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and mingc