Are Any Aussies Here Importing Their Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all, with the price of Borkum Riff being nigh on $40 for 50g, I'm just wondering if any of you import your tabocco from overseas at all? I've found a few vendors across the pond who'll post, a lovely retailer in South Africa and, of course, the sellers of vintage sealed tins on USA are also happy to post over here.
Just wondering what happens once it hits our shores though i.e. my parcels are mostly labelled "Collector Tins" with the ebay speel about not being fit for human consumption enclosed on their invoice, or "Accessories" because the package comprises mostly tools, filters etc. None habe been sent year, that will be occurring over the next few days.
Do Customs always automatically pick it up via their super sophisticated x-ray machines and Beagle puppies, or do they occasionally pass straight through and end up at the postoffice or doorstep? Of course, I'm not a smuggler and have no intention of avoiding duty when called upon to to pay same, but aside from taking the parcel back to the Post Office IF they've delivered it & saying, "Please Sir, I need to pay duty here", I'm just wondering how things roll here in Oz. Cheers, Di
P.S. If any Aussies have any links to overseas purveyors of fine tobaccos who're happy to send to the Colonies, please share :)

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
good luck! thats what i find. i am on the winnig side of the ditch but the law still stands for both i fink.

as 4 customs i think they browse and every now and then swop in so imho keep it small and low

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I know that here in Canada there are laws which permit you to import up to 200 grams from out of the country. Anything over the 200 grams and you pay duty and excise tax. I have definitely gambled in the past and been looked right over and never had to pay a cent of duty when I should have.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Thanks all for your PM's I'm onto the site sponsor y'all suggested :) Seems they do it in the same manner as a another wonderful seller I tracked down in South Africa who has a vast range at incredibly cheap prices. Hahaha, they talked this newbie OUT of buying half the baccy I ordered - now that's blimmen' good service, saving me lots of $'s and awful experiences until I know what I'm doing!

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
First post, thought I'd chime in. As you know, taxes are very high. $450/kg + 10% of the price paid for the tobacco inc. shipping. I've gotten a couple of kilos through untaxed, I haven't been stung by the taxman yet. From what I gather, it's a good idea to pay extra for the quickest shipping from the US. Express shipping lessens the likelihood of getting nabbed. A shop that I've done a couple of orders with has been very discreet with their forms/packaging. I'll PM you the site if you like. Sometimes "Collector's tins" doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a red flag description. I wouldn't buy in bulk, a bag full of organic matter will definitely get checked out by customs. I'm currently waiting with bated breath for an order of 1+kg. You can't beat American prices of $6-$12 per 50g tin, depending on what you get.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Hi Hugh, I take it you're an Aussie - I'm in Brissy but it's my understanding ALL o/seas parcel mail lobs in Sydney & is then shipped out from there, can't be 100% sure though.
Wow, you don't do anything in half measures, would love a pm from you as to any tips & hints you care to share. Cheers, Di

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
Go hard or go home, haha. I'm not a betting man, but I'm always looking for a way to pay less. If my current shipment gets caught, I'll owe customs about $600...
The only shops I've dealt with in Australia are an overpriced cigar shop in Perth, about $50 a tin for Petersons and Mac Baren tobacco, and a pretty good shop in Frankston (tobaccoblends.com.au, they do mail order) that sells Samuel Gawith, McClellands and Stokkebye for $35/50g. (Not in tins, unfortunately) That's about the same as you'll pay if you get caught by customs, so might as well have a punt.
PM sent, let me know how you go if you take my advice.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Wow $50 for a tin of Mac Baren!I thought California taxes were high. We pay $20 for a tin. Do you know what the exchange rate is from US dollars to Australian? Maybe its not as bad as it seems but wow. You might think of growing your own at those prices?

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
An Aussie dollar is about the same as the greenback. We have a serious nanny state problem here. A bottle of midrange whiskey, say Jim Beam, is about $35 dollars. A pint of beer at the bar is about $10.
There's a social contract though, when you eventually succumb to your vices, the state will pay for your medical expenses. Win some, lose some.

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
Haha. I haven't looked into growing tobacco, I wouldn't trust myself with the curing. There's a bit of a black market of cigarettes in some states, not so much where I am.
How much tobacco would you get per acre? I've got a bit of land in the country...

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
mate i think you would easily get enought o last a year even if you were smoking 24/7

its just the waiting fot it to cure and age , but also i have heard that your nanny state dont want you growing it so i would look into it mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.