PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I was looking at a couple of CAO Meershaums at smokingpipes.com and noted that there were no stamp markings. I have faith in SP.com but hesitated. I was under the impression authentic CAO's would be stamped. I missed one of them but they still have a nice calabash. If the pipes aren't stamped, how would SP or I know that they are authentic?

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
In my experience, MOST CAO Meerschaums are not stamped, unless have a carvers signature, most often I. Bekler. The case often has an identifying logo or sticker.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I called the folks at SP.com and they said the CAO line was confusing but essentially they concurred with your response, Jerry: No stamp but the case had the logo.
I picked up the Calabash for $80. I don't know if it was a particularly good bargain but the pipe was rated a 4.8 for some developing color. I would give it extra points for that.
I'm really in the market for a prince, bulldog, pot, or another author or rhodesian (maybe my favorite flake pipe) But I really like the way my billard meer smokes flakes so I'm adding my second meershaum.
I'm moving away from monster bowls to mid-size to smallish bowls, especially for flakes.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I just bought two CAO meers of Yahoo Auctions Japan. Well the stem has their logo but they are not stamped. Didn't come in a case though. But 30 dollars for two pipes with free shipping? I'll take it.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
CAOs often had a brass logo dot inset in the stem-- in all but a handful of cases, it's on the right side (that is, when looking at it, stem points to the right) --I've seen one with it on the other side, and a few with it on top. I think most CAOs from the late-70s until probably at least the late-80s had the brass dot... which, incidentally, originated with Golden Horn, an importer-exporter who got Bekler's work before CAO.
CAO cases usually had a sticker inside, including the later ones. The 70s ones most commonly use golden-colored lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.