Are All Butane Brands Basically the Same?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have several lighters and several cans of 5X I should sell. A Bic or a match is all I use now. Fancy lighters have always been a pain in the ass for me. I have no problems taking a Bic to a $400 artisan pipe. very reliable means of flame. Cool enough and safe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my expensive lighters which are Du Pont cigar lighters are sitting in my safety deposit box. I still love my Old Boy and use it exclusively because the tamper is built in. I have a zippo pipe lighter for out door use only and I have a Davidoff pipe lighter I will use when I get dressed up. I love lighters and always had a collection of sorts.Here is a pic of my lighter collection. The Davidoff ( picked it up in Paris in 2000, got a hell of a deal because the French Franc was in the toilet) is the second from the right next to my Old Boy on the far right.

flintlighters.jpg

Reactions: marlinspike

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
In essence butane is butane. They differ in how pure they are. Anything triple filtered is the way to go. I have several lighters and use Vector 5x. Never had a problem. Don't fall for the ST Dupont, Dunhill, etc proprietary trap. You pay more for the same best butane available at 1/10th the price.
Vector advertises 5x as being filtered 5 times but it's incorrect. There is a step between the first and second filtration and another step between the second and third. Making it to them 5x. It's in face triple filtered and 2 additional steps between the two filtration.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
cigrmaster - what can you tell me about the green one and the 2 to its left?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Vector advertises 5x as being filtered 5 times but it's incorrect. There is a step between the first and second filtration and another step between the second and third. Making it to them 5x. It's in face triple filtered and 2 additional steps between the two filtration.
Sounds like once you get to triple filer, you should be good to go. The only kind I am using is Xitar and Colibri when it arrives.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cigrmaster - what can you tell me about the green one and the 2 to its left?
Z, they definitely are expensive but they do last a lifetime. I lit thousands of cigars with them and not once did one ever have to go into a shop for repair. Yes the signature ping is one of the features, but I like the weight and hand feel best of all. The tall one to the left is gold plated Diamond Cut Design table lighter, next one over is a Ligne 2 Brushed Gold, next is the Gold Plated with Vertical Lines, next is another Gold Plated Diamond Cut, next is a Green Enamel, don't remember the model names on the last three.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
My wife actually bought me the newer Dupont lighter that is a torch instead of soft flame-back when I was smoking cigars only. It cost quite a bit more than the soft flame ones and can use any regular, albeit high grade gas while the soft flame ones need a special 'color-green, blue, etc' cannister for filling. One fill per small cannister. A real PITA, in my opinion and quite costly.
However, much as I love this lighter, I'm afraid to use it on a good pipe for fear of burning the rim.
Oh, well.
allan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Allan, definitely do not use that Du Pont on your pipes, it will torch your pipe. I had a couple of those and they eventually stopped working. Not a fan of that kind of lighter even for cigars, they burn to hot in my opinion and scorch the cigar. They are good for outside on the golf course though which is where I used mine. I learned early on that my cans of Vector and other types of high grade butane fuels came with attachments that I could use to fill my Du Ponts. The official Du Pont canisters are a rip off and I only used them once.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead but I was wondering if there is a difference from the Zippo red butane and the Zippo blue butane. The Blue cap butane says premium on it. Only reason im wondering is because i bought a few cans from P&C and they showed the blue cans, but I received red cans.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No info on the cans themselves? Otherwise, a call to Zippo should do it. But Zippo selling butane is like Chevron selling milk. Oooops- some of their shops do! :)
BTW The photofucket photo of Harris' lighters is gone. It was awesome. Dude, down in FLA, can you repost that please?

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I gave up on buying expensive refillable butane lighters years ago. Their track record for failure is ridiculous. All it takes is bad fuel or an O-ring or something and the thing winds up landing in a drawer busted. I'll use freebie lighters like occasional promos from P&C till they break, then just toss them. My Bics and Djeeps light everytime till empty and my standard lighter fluid Zippos will outlive me.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Torch lighters are notoriously finicky, but my refillable butane soft flame lighters have been happy with different brands of fuel. I'm using the Xikar fuel now, to keep the torch lighters happy, but I've gone through several cans of Zippo butane without issues from my soft flame lighters.
I know I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead but I was wondering if there is a difference from the Zippo red butane and the Zippo blue butane. The Blue cap butane says premium on it. Only reason im wondering is because i bought a few cans from P&C and they showed the blue cans, but I received red cans.
FWIW, the Zippo site only shows blue capped butane cans now. It could just be a packaging change.

Status
Not open for further replies.