Archive Of The Old Pipes And Tobacco Magazine?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Though I miss some good print media, it's probably a good thing on balance to go paperless.

Problem is that instead of receiving the print media that I like, now I just get a ton of advertisements, solicitations, and a bunch of other junk mail I've got no interest in. It's like we've missed the whole point of going paperless. I'd rather just ban junk mail and unsolicited advertisements and bring back newspapers and magazines.

I still get several paper newspapers daily, and a few of my favorite magazines are still in paper format. Yeh, I hate junk mail.
But, I find it difficult to read things in electronic format. Plus, it gives me something to start my barbeque with, and line the area under the catbox.
Magazines get stored in plastic binders when I am done with the initial read through. I like to have them for references and this does come up often in what I do.

Reactions: lawdawg

Taganrog

Lurker
Sep 1, 2021
Chemnitz, Germany
I managed to find and get all but 2 issues of P&T magazine. Chuck Stanion, thanks for the backstory and for all the great work that you put into it.

The two that I am missing are
Vol 2 No 2 Summer 1997
Vol 22 No 4 Winter 2018

Would not kill for them but, for example, copy or scan two that somebody of you is missing in exchange :)

shaile_d

Lurker
Jan 26, 2022
I am looking for a specific issue, if anyone was willing to part with an old copy. Its the Fall 2001, with a cover Illustrated by my dad, John H. McGrath.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220126-190904_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-190904_Samsung Internet.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 11

shaile_d

Lurker
Jan 26, 2022
I have most of the past issues. Downsizing prior to a projected move to a smaller home, so will probably put them on Ebay some day.
If you are selling, and have the 2001 fall issue, i would gladly buy it! My late father illustrated the cover; and i dont have a copy :(

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for looking.
This is somewhat off-topic, several years late, and may be something you’ve already seen… But I did recall that Rick Hacker included a paragraph on William Conrad in The Ultimate Pipe Book.

Attachments

• William Conrad, Ultimate Pipe.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: JimInks

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A little off subject but you might be interested. I have the first 10 issues of "Cigar Aficionado" magazine all in mint condition. Not really wanting them I posted them for sale on Craig's List. They took the ad down at once because it was related to smoking. It must be wonderful to be so socially conscious and concerned about you fellow man! What a bunch of smineless twits. puffy

1671479200459.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is somewhat off-topic, several years late, and may be something you’ve already seen… But I did recall that Rick Hacker included a paragraph on William Conrad in The Ultimate Pipe Book.
Thank you. I have seen it before, but so many years have passed since then that I am happy to see it again.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A little off subject but you might be interested. I have the first 10 issues of "Cigar Aficionado" magazine all in mint condition. Not really wanting them I posted them for sale on Craig's List. They took the ad down at once because it was related to smoking. It must be wonderful to be so socially conscious and concerned about you fellow man! What a bunch of smineless twits. puffy

View attachment 188296
It's in storage, but, I have that issue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an issue or two somewhere in the interstices of clutter. It was beautifully produced and I could never figure out how they afforded to publish it at all. The advertising was light,and the material was well written and the color photos were lavish. It looked like the pet project of a dot-com millionaire or a trust fund kid. Maybe the former staffer earlier on the thread can enlighten me. It did not look like a "book" (as they say in magazine speak) that was sustaining its production. I kept an issue about George of Pipes by George, a really nice piece that captured his quiet pipe wizardry well.

Reactions: litup

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I have an issue or two somewhere in the interstices of clutter. It was beautifully produced and I could never figure out how they afforded to publish it at all. The advertising was light,and the material was well written and the color photos were lavish. It looked like the pet project of a dot-com millionaire or a trust fund kid. Maybe the former staffer earlier on the thread can enlighten me. It did not look like a "book" (as they say in magazine speak) that was sustaining its production. I kept an issue about George of Pipes by George, a really nice piece that captured his quiet pipe wizardry well.
You're right, it was the pet project of the publisher, who made his money from his other trade publications. He got older and sold out, and the new owner shut it down. We're lucky we had it that long

BTW, I'm only missing the Winter 1999 issue with the cover story of 'Irish Smoke', if anyone has one:
1671493951079.jpeg

Last edited: