PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
I too am into archery! I shoot a Morrison Shawnee Dakota with 2 sets of longbow limbs. I also have a Toelke whip and an old Damon Hawatt hunter. I really enjoy bow hunting and have shot for 35 years.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome goldflinger! Morrison's are very nice bows -You should throw up some pics sometime. I'd love to take a peek.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Spartan, The longbow is 45# and the recurve is 50#. That might not sound like much but I'm a little guy and remember these traditional bows don't have "let off" like a compound. The funny shaped wheels or cams as they are called at the end of the compound limbs greatly reduce the poundage of the bow at full draw allowing the archer to take his time getting a steady anchor and aim before letting the arrow loose. With traditional bows the weight just keeps stacking up until you reach full draw. I find when I shoot light weight bows with lightweight arrows it is easier and much more fun. Since I'm not hunting I dont need the heavy poundage or heavy arrows for maximum kinetic energy.
I'll typically shoot hundreds of times when I go out so multiply that by 45 or 50 and it adds up quick.
300 draws @50# = 15,000lbs lifted 8O

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
Bent mike, I will see if I have pics at the office. One set of carbon foam limbs are the "D" size and they are 44 pounds at 28". My other set of limbs are carbon foam with cainbrake snake skins and they are 49 Pounds. I shoot a low grip "A" riser with full pine cones. it is one sweet Bow!

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
I would love to try a nice recurve! I grew up shooting compound in competition, but my brothers and I used to make our own "recurve" bows out of maple and bailing twine. We'd make arrows and put a deflated balloon filled with cotton over the tip... then we ran around the 40 shooting at each other. Haha seems dangerous now that I recall it... but we all still have our eyes! haha
Currently I'm a Matthews compound man... love 'em.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
Ok, I could not find a lot of pictures, but here are a few if I can figure out how to post pics here. I will give it a try.

Here is my back quiver, but I don't use it much.

Here are my "E" limbs, but I don't have a picture of my Riser.

Another of the limbs.

Here are a couple of My "Hunter", please excuse the feet

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Goldflinger that snakeskin on those limbs looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics. In the quiver picture I see some hills in the background. What part of OK are you in? Looks like beautiful country.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Better shot than I will ever be! Glad to see you and your son have something special to do together.

Never was a very good shot with a bow but it ceases to amaze me when I see the skill that some have with the bow and arrow.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
Not sure where that picture was taken. It was not taken by me. Same with the limbs. I'm a bad photographer, evidenced by my feet showing in the only picture taken by me. I live in Oklahoma City. Grew up in Tulsa and there are some hills in that part of the State. Pretty flat here.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Testing out some new archery equipment.
0262.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
When I was a kid I was into archery. I competed at the local archery club in Michigan. I took 1st twice and 2nd once. It was a lot of fun.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
We moved to Tennessee when I was young and there was no clubs or anything. I have been deer hunting but honestly when I shot one I felt terrible for the deer. I guess it just wasn't in me. From there I moved more into photography and trying to shoot at things that way.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hunting got me back into archer but anymore I like just enjoying the physical and mental challenge of archery as a self improvement exercise and a fun hobby. I notice my son really took to shooting so that got me excited again about the joy of just watching the arrow arc to target.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
One thing I never got to shoot that I still want to try is the long bow. My dad's friend is about 7 feet tall and he could hold that thing back for 20 seconds. Just something that has always stuck in my head.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
My mistake was I continued shooting my hunting bows for years even though I wasn't hunting. After watching my son with his mom's target bow I realized there was no reason to keep pulling a heavy weight bow when 30 pounds is more than enough power to provide real accuracy. With the new bow I can remain at full draw and settle into my sight picture and let the string slip from my fingers when everything is just right.
I love longbows too but they do best with the heavier weight and so are not the best choice for target shooting unless like you say the shooter is big strong guy who can easily handle the draw weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.