PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This no-name claw has about 1,000 smokes -- I'm guessing...

NoNameClawmeer1.jpg

NoNameClawmeer3.jpg

NoNameClawmeer2.jpg

I just used a Q-tip to brush melted white bee's wax onto the surface, and a hot air blower to keep it runny for a while.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, Capt. It's going so evenly I didn't even notice till last night the difference! LOL
After a lot of reading and pondering, I think I'm going to go natural with it, no wax or anything. I do make sure my hands are clean and hold it by the stem. Being a square shank and stemmed pipe it's actually very comfortable to hold that way. The thickness of the bit makes it a not very comfortable clencher so it's a good thing it's comfortable to hold. :puffpipe:

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
That's a real nice meer Greg. And I love the eagle claw Cortez. I dig how the color is in the grooves. I'm gonna hold off on the wax for now on the mermaid.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Julio, I think the difference may be the beeswax. I wax mine the same way you do, but I use white beeswax. My other big Meer I used Yellow and it colored more darkly. I also have yet another meer that I used no wax on. I need to take a pic so everyone will see the difference with them side by side!
Meers color all sorts of funny ways. Mine and Barkars are typical, coloring from the shank (and you can see how much more he smokes his, by how dark it is) but I've seen some color from the top of the bowl before. Some are splotchy, some smooth and some have wavy lines here and there.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
@baron- I'm looking forward to seeing your meers. I just checked out the meer in question here and after over 24 hours of rest the color is a little lighter and a little more even.
No joke with the beeswax being the difference. Like I stated, it started darkening as soon as I started applying the wax. And I've been puffing fast to get the bowl hot enough to melt the wax.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's mine. Hope the pic isn't too big. The top pipe has no wax. The middle is yellow wax and smoked almost every day for a year. The bottom is the Storient with white wax, smoked almost every day since September.
IMAG0081_zpsac1e208d.jpg

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
All nice looking pipes...
This link explains how I've done it... it's just another way that works.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experimenting-with-a-meerschaum

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
hey guys, my meer is coloring from the shank forward. however the bowl has some color to, my meerschaum is ~ 20 years old. i have also uesd CAO MEERSHAUM ANTIQING COMPOUND as well. i like to apply it to the bowl while smoking. i apply it to the top portion of the bowl and let the wax flow downward. after smoking i hand buff with a soft cloth. i also keep the cake scraped out of the bowl. i like meers because you can smoke them hard over and over with minimum rest in between smokes. i will buy some bees wax when i run out of this compound iam currently using.
take care. oh yeah i like the all the pics here guys. thanks.....
mike.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
MI'm suddenly in the mood for an eagle claw meer.
Just an update- I notice that it gets lighter when I give it over a fulldats rest and gets darker when I smoke it again. I'm just gonna smoke the hell out of or for two weeks then give it a rest(I think that's what was suggested). Then I'll just see how it looks over time. Beautiful meers you all gotguys.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Have any of you tried using Halcyon II Wax on your Meerchaums? I use it on my briars and it really brings out the luster in the wood with a rich shine. The diretions say that it can be used on meers too.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's really interesting! I'll bet someone here has the cojones to try it on their prized meer.
...and btw, welcome to the forums, Saint. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.