PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
When I was a kid, the old guys used to put a piece of apple in a pouch to keep the tobacco moist. That OK to do? I’ve got a pretty dry pouch that I must have left open awhile.

Reactions: JOHN72

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Usually my issue is my tobacco needs drying before smoking, not rehydrating ;)
Of course you're correct in general, but left in a day pouch it definitely can become too dry. Bing Crosby subscribed to the apple slice method, so I did it in the beginning.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tried the apple slice hydration for tobacco once, and got mold big time. I've had better luck with even crispy dry tobacco. I don't want bits and dust, but crisp usually burns well and still has fine flavor. If someone is smoking most of a pouch over the course of a day, it might work fine. I live in a fairly humid climate, so that might have some bearing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The easiest way I have found to rehydrate is to place the tobacco in a zip lock and also insert a moistened napkin not letting it touch the tobacco. Seal the zip lock and let it sit for 4 or 5 days. You can experiment with the size of the paper napkin and how moist to make it but less is more and more is less. In other words, don't go with too much napkin or too moist. If the napkin is dry and the tobacco isn't as moist as you want it in a few days, add water to the napkin again and repeat the process.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I recall being told to use a slice of apple or an orange peel back in the late 70’s early 80’s the results were overly moist tobacco and rampant tongue bite. Took a bit of time to get out off the habit, all the “old timers“ at the time were advising the practice.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
When I was a kid, the old guys used to put a piece of apple in a pouch to keep the tobacco moist. That OK to do? I’ve got a pretty dry pouch that I must have left open awhile.
My old Grandad used to put as much apple peel as he could peel off in one go into any tobacco he had open but I’ve found this only works well with rubbed out baccy, not flake.
I have also tried the potato peel approach if you are worried about adding additional “fruity” flavour to the baccy; this approach is alright but I personally prefer the apple approach.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I'd suggest putting the dry tobacco in a clean jar, get a small spray bottle and spray some distilled water on it, seal it up, and let it sit a few days. If you don't have distilled water, boil it first to help prevent mold.
I've heard of the apple slice method, but that was described to me as a fresh slice in a day pouch, so it was all going to be smoked quickly.

Reactions: edger