PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My advice:
1. Find something that works for now. Enjoy it. Think about how to do it better.

2. Acquire the means to home-blend, and have some fun, since you have time pressure off your back.
$0.02, worth much less in the post-0bama economy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd sample anything in the smallest quantity available, preferably one ounce, or a single pouch or small tin if that is smallest. Cinnamon has a nasty trait of biting and burning, so I'd definitely give a cinnamon blend a sampling. Instead maybe you could find just the apple flavoring, if that proves good.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It might indeed be a ph difference, as Middletons Apple was one of the worst things I've ever put into a pipe. I've said before, on another thread, it was like putting a lit sparkler in my mouth. Worst bite ever! But your mileage may vary.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cinnamon blends, and Middleton's Apple have never bitten me. Individual differences are amazing, I keep Middleton's around to smoke in a cob for yard work.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I am thinking of buying some McClelland M98 Fresh Apple Pipe Tobacco and a Cornell & Diehl: Small Batch Blending Kit on payday.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, the one I made that comes closest to what you're looking for is one of my monthly blends - Apple Fritter. I'm waiting for one of the components to arrive to make up another batch.
Russ

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Bumping this old thread to see if anyone else out there has a line on a good apple blend.

Most of the reviews I see for most are that many claimed apple flavored tobaccos end up having little to no apple flavor.

I had that experience today... bought a local shops "Apple Dumpling" blend and it had a nice smell but basically smoked like a cheap cigarette.

Who car smells like crap now.

If there is one out there that is flavorful, and of decent quality, I'm interested.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you're smoking them too fast or packing them too tight. Try drying them for a few hours as well.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I'll give it a shot, but it tasted pretty bad overall.

It burned fine, but I didn't even make it halfway through before I dumped it.

Zero apple taste to it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Another tip would be to try them in a cob to make them a bit more forgiving before moving aros to a briar.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It was a cob, lol!

I'm trying, lol...

:mrgreen:
Don't give up! Another thing to try it to cut it with Carter Hall. It will cool the burn and let the flavor come through better.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I gave a couple pinches of it 60-90min to air out and tried it again in the cob.

Its just cheap, lousy tobacco, lol. No taste, unless cheap cigarette counts.

Tossed the rest in the garden a minute ago.
Maybe apple is just too subtle a note to really get on top, anyway.

Cherry, chocolate and vanilla are in a ton of things, but are all pretty strong to begin with... and I'm not a cherry fan.

Maybe there just isn't anything out there. My research seems to indicate that the reviews for apple blends all seem pretty mixed, which would indicate no one has ever nailed it.
Welp, I have some Rattray Exotic Orange on its way, maybe that will be a better, different option.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Give this a go.
003-041-0010.jpg

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Thanks for the suggestions!

Deep Hollow is actually on my "notify when in" list on P&C. and Angler's Dream sounds very interesting... I like the idea to mix this w McApple.

Jul 12, 2011
Back when I smoked some aromatics, I remember liking Sillem's: Red
A high proportion of spicy and sweet Virginia flake characterizes this mellow, fruity mixture which has been deliciously refined with double toasted black Cavendish and combined with delicate fruity essences of ripe apples, cherries, and Mirabelle. Coarse and fine Golden Virginia give an exquisite bouquet to this tobacco with subtle, smooth, and sweet hints of lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.