PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I was buying a pipe a couple of days ago from one of our fine local shops. As I was browsing, a small Lorenzetti pipe grabbed my attention. My first impression was, oh look at this miniature pipe! It'll probably make for nice decor.... This thing is so small such that I can probably attach it to a keychain :).
I picked up thinking its not even worth trying to smoke it as it would be hot and probably taste like crap. Nevertheless I put some JackKnife plug into it and was surprised that the bowl was actually not as small as it seemed. I lit it up and initially I felt it was hot (as I expected), then I decided to smoke it carefully. After a few careful puffs it started yielding its secrets. It is one of the best smoking pipes I've had - the JKP bowl lasted me roughly an hour!! I've been smoking more bowls in it and it did not stop delivering or disappointed me in any way! I'm pleasantly astonished :puffy:
Here are a couple of photos (one to illustrate scale!):
sp%20-%201_zpshazbftnh.jpg

sp%20-%203_zps0grupzub.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is an exact match of the very first pipe I ever purchased. I agree, they are deceptively good smokers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
atsky', small pipes surprised me. I always thought they were toys and souvenirs until fishnbanjo gave a convincing case for them. Now I have several. I like my extra large pipes, my numerous medium size, but now also my small pipes down to Group 1 and 2. The stockier small pipes are good for carrying around and have multiple uses -- sampling blends at pipe shows, short smokes including of various blends, long smokes especially of flake, appetizer and dessert bowls, and so forth. I've heard good things about Lorenzetti.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries carries Lorenzetti, and also EWA, a small French pipe in the churchwarden design but short and small bowl. Prices on both are quite low.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
The local shop carries these, and my initial thoughts were much like yours, atsky. Thanks for the review. I hear good things about Lorenzetti but did kind of write off these small ones.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
stickframer, I have 5 Lorenzettis including this small one. They are all fantastic smokers. They range between $70 and $100 here and they have to proven to me to be fantastic value for the money.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have 2 Lorenzetti pipes although not small. However, the pipes have the most amazing grain and smoke superbly. Good catch for an undervalued brand!

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Just picked up an Avitus shape 49. I'm smoking Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake on the maiden voyage.
20150907_132103-600x337.jpg

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
stickframer, that was fast! I hope to hear your input as well. I like this shape a lot as well! I didn't have options as the one I got was the one on hand at the store.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
stickframer, that was fast!
Thanks haha. The B&M is in a strip mall a block from my house. Anyway, they had the shape 49 (dublin-like) and another one that looked like a pot. There weren't any of the bent apple/brandy ones but they look good too. I dig the rich finish and the light band on the stem.
Mine smoked dry with no gurgles, but it got hot at times (operator error?) but not burning hot. The hole is centered and just slightly up from the bottom of the tapered bowl. The stem fits nice and snug. Draw is neither too tight nor too open. Interior bowl measurements are 1.25" deep by .75"wide- a good size bowl.
For the price, all the important details are there and it's a very nice looking pipe. I noticed some very small flaws in the finish where the stem connects but it's hardly worth mentioning. I guess I just want to find something negative to say!
Thanks again, atsky. I've been meaning to get a flake pipe so this thread was timely and saved me a few bucks to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.