PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
There are a few great blends that haven’t come through Peterson yet. Aperitif is a great one, along with Durbar and London Blend We’re favorites of mine. I still have some from an open tin a jar. I hope it will be re-released.

Reactions: shermnatman

DunhillPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2019
USA
There are a few great blends that haven’t come through Peterson yet. Aperitif is a great one, along with Durbar and London Blend We’re favorites of mine. I still have some from an open tin a jar. I hope it will be re-released.
Those three are the ones I’m looking forward to if Peterson decides to bring them back. Dark Flake will hopefully be available in the US soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an opened tin of Durbar, which is a lovely smoke, as was Aperitif, which I enjoyed a lot. I have unopened Dunhill versions of Nightcap, 965, Royal Yacht, and Navy Rolls, which I look forward to enjoying. It's a guilty pleasure, these regular purchases that have become somewhat scarce.

Reactions: ofafeather

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Aperitif was one of my favorite Dunhill blends too. Shame it hasn’t come back. I stocked up on the other Dunhill’s I love but I didn’t stock up on that one. I think it’s probably gone for good, at least in the States. I did see that Peterson released Dark Flake in Europe.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have one open jar and two tins of Dunhill Apertif. All purchased in 2018 or 2017 late. I know they are English, but I hope they age well, mellow and sweeten a bit. I haven’t touched the jarred one in maybe 8 months, maybe time to give it a try again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm hoping the old recipes will make it through the deeming passover and be reissued. If old and established is intended to be acceptable, the continuity of production shouldn't be criteria, but I'm not expecting reason to prevail. All these fourth graders fighting for their favorite Balkan blends obviously need protection.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I have one open jar and two tins of Dunhill Apertif. All purchased in 2018 or 2017 late. I know they are English, but I hope they age well, mellow and sweeten a bit. I haven’t touched the jarred one in maybe 8 months, maybe time to give it a try again.
I just got some aperitif. have you gone back to the jar yet to test?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Maybe Russ is reading this and could bring about some of his magic to create his rendition of the lost Dunhill trio! I'd also love to see Dark Flake, Durbar and Apertif brought back in some form.
McConnell has their versions based on the K&K recipes. Black Flake, Oriental Square and St James Park. Haven’t tried them because there’s so much else to try. Dunhill London Mixture was another one I really enjoyed. That’s McConnell Piccadilly Circus.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
For those who have tried both aperatif and nightcap, how similar are they? I have been wanting to open a tin of nightcap, but I would rather wait until I finish my aperatif if they are similar flavour profiles. I have read on some reviews of aperatif that it is similar to nightcap. But it seems that the similarity is in relation to MM965, in that they are both more robust blends. If anyone could relay how they taste the two blends in comparison, I'd like to hear. Thanks.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
For those who have tried both aperatif and nightcap, how similar are they? I have been wanting to open a tin of nightcap, but I would rather wait until I finish my aperatif if they are similar flavour profiles. I have read on some reviews of aperatif that it is similar to nightcap. But it seems that the similarity is in relation to MM965, in that they are both more robust blends. If anyone could relay how they taste the two blends in comparison, I'd like to hear. Thanks.
I think they have some similar flavors but they are still different blends. I say open them both up and bounce back between blends as you wish. Life is too short to smoke just one blend at a time...

Reactions: beef and ofafeather

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Some of you may know how much I love Aperitif. I have worked my way into a decent stash of aperitif, durbar, and nightcap. It was not easy or cheap but I have enough to last me my lifetime. As I describe it to my buddies, all three have a similar “base flavor” but they seem to each venture off into a sweet creamy smoke, a peated aroma and a mellow campfire flavor. Try and get a tin of each and try them out, you wont be disappointed!

Also, the peterson nightcap smokes better with a few months of age.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You might want to pickup an oz or two of Cordial from C&D, this is the description from TR.

A smooth blend of Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and black Cavendish.
Notes: Reminiscent of old Dunhill Aperitif

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
You might want to pickup an oz or two of Cordial from C&D, this is the description from TR.

A smooth blend of Virginia, Turkish, Latakia and black Cavendish.
Notes: Reminiscent of old Dunhill Aperitif
I'll take a look, though, in canada, the selection is limited. I have a bit of aperitif though.

Status
Not open for further replies.