PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I picked up this estate pipe, mostly because it looked nice. I noticed right away that it's giving me some bite from a tobacco that doesn't usually bite. Is it me or the pipe? I am not doing anything different than normal.1605556550011.png

Reactions: madox07
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks like it is made of porcelain although the bowl looks like briar. I've personally found 3/4 bent pipes can gather more moisture than straight or minimally bent pipes which can heat up and turn to steam. May just need more breaking in. Could have been the tobacco you were smoking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are you puffing more to keep it lit? Does it have a more open draw that burns more tobacco? I don't know the brand? Where is it made? Is it smaller than most of your other pipes? I'd slow way down, really just sip, and see if it helps. Keep us posted on any progress.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Looks like it is made of porcelain although the bowl looks like briar. I've personally found 3/4 bent pipes can gather more moisture than straight or minimally bent pipes which can heat up and turn to steam. May just need more breaking in. Could have been the tobacco you were smoking.

yeah, it's a clay pipe with double walls, but I think you are right, it's a moister thing.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don' know this brand. Is it bryar? It looks interesting, but I am not sure it's the pipe that gives you less bite. It may be that the tobacco is drier than you last smoked it? Or perhaps you got better at it, you are pacing yourself better ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ceramic with double walls sounds like the problem, nowhere for the heat to go so it bakes the moisture out of the tobacco and the steam burns you. That's my guess.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Well, it's still pretty to look at. Going to take it slow and sip the next time I use it. Otherwise, I may just put it up to be looked at.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Did you source that pipe from a lady who sells under the name 'Tobacco Treasures'as an unsmoked pipe? She took it off her listings - it has an exposed side - you can seen into the chamber, yes? or is yours a different one - It was the same make, model and color, regardless.

Yeah, that is where I got it, but it had definitely been smoked before. I could see the burnt tobacco marks in the bottom of the bowl and the stem had tar residue in it. I am not sure what you mean by exposed side though. If you mean the pic from the listing where a section is cut away, that was an example of what the inside looked like, not the actual pipe.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Yeah, that is where I got it, but it had definitely been smoked before. I could see the burnt tobacco marks in the bottom of the bowl and the stem had tar residue in it. I am not sure what you mean by exposed side though. If you mean the pic from the listing where a section is cut away, that was an example of what the inside looked like, not the actual pipe.
AH INTERESTING _ I thought that the pipe may have been cracked with an exposed side - anyway, yea, I bought a pipe from her once- she's alright. She listed that as unsmoked (it looked a bit dirty to me) maybe smoke drier leaf in there. Nice looking pipe though.

Reactions: Capt Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.