Anyone Store Differnt Flakes in the Same Jar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
On purpose? They stand so nicely in the jars that it seems they good benefit each other.
Anyway I'm trying dunhill flakes next to some golden slices. It seems the dunhills could use a little brightening and the goldens could use some depth.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
No, never. Hasn't even crossed my mind to do so.
That said, your question made me think of McClelland's new "Red and Black." I bought a tin and turned around and bought ten more. They are currently on sale at P&C. Here is the description:
McClelland's Red and Black was created for the 30th anniversary of the Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers (CORPS). Red Virginias and stoved black Virginias are made into separate flakes, which are then tinned together to allow them to marry. This unique approach to Virginia flakes allows the enthusiast a variety of ways to enjoy it - each type separately or mixed together.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds interesting for sure. Are the McC flakes put in the tin in alternating order (red, black, red, black) or done in a half and half configuration? bcharles, are you alternating your flakes? :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Never occurred to me, but I'm interested to see how it turns out. Hell, I smoked Carter Hall over mesquite, and it turned out pretty good. Reminds me, I have to do up another batch...

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
No, never. Hasn't even crossed my mind to do so.
That said, your question made me think of McClelland's new "Red and Black." I bought a tin and turned around and bought ten more. They are currently on sale at P&C. Here is the description:
McClelland's Red and Black was created for the 30th anniversary of the Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers (CORPS). Red Virginias and stoved black Virginias are made into separate flakes, which are then tinned together to allow them to marry. This unique approach to Virginia flakes allows the enthusiast a variety of ways to enjoy it - each type separately or mixed together.
thanks! Sounds like a must try. Great idea.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Sounds interesting for sure. Are the McC flakes put in the tin in alternating order (red, black, red, black) or done in a half and half configuration? bcharles, are you alternating your flakes?
No I just set them in. I'll just pick which flake I feel like, and see if there is anything to it.

Mar 1, 2014
I've thrown flakes of St. James Flake and Escudo together. And a flake of something good with some Mississippi River (probably SJF).
And then there's my jars of "MacBaren Everything", which consists of half a dozen MacBaren tins that I thought were taking up too much space at the time and all too similar in flavor (mostly flakes, nothing heavily aromatic), added some bulk Virginia, Perique, and Latakia, and am now patiently waiting.

(To be clear, there's actually no flakes left in those, it's all rubbed out now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.