Anyone Smoking Cobblestone Chess Series?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Specifically Knight/Rook/King as I just purchased these to try since they are on sale at SP. Not much info about them except they have other tinned series that seem to be manufactured by Sutliff, while this chess series is made by K&K in Germany.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Had a round with Rook/Knight/King and I can give some quick impressions and maybe ill do a full review when I smoke some more of this stuff. Ill start off by saying the aroma from the tin on all three was nice and very promising. As well as the cut and general presentation in the tin. Also all three behaved very well in the pipe and took the light easily and burned to ash easily after drying to my preference. None of them bit me.

King is the only VaPer of the three I tried so I'll start with that. Its not really your typical VaPer in terms of flavors and honestly I feel like there is some DFK or burley in the mix. Its very rustic tasting and the perique starts to pop up 1/3 or maybe half way into the bowl (at first I couldn't tell if there was perique at all) and its fruity/plummy but its in the background for sure and I find myself puffing more frequently to taste it when it does eventually pop up. I need more time with this one. Its light to medium brown in the tin broken flake/ribbon. Very light colored for a VaPer I think. This kind of reminded me of Old Gowrie but just reminded me of it and nothing more.

Knight is a broken flake Virginia, medium to golden brown with a nice mix of broken flake and ribbon. It doesn't taste super bright, its more rustic like the VA's in King somewhat bready and creamy like capstan (but not nearly as deep) with the brighter hay and more typical VA flavors in the background. Some sweetness is there but not a whole lot. I felt a bit of nic with this one as well.

Rook was probably my favorite of the three if I had to pick. A well packed light to medium brown flake in the K&K style. I rubbed out two flakes into ribbons let it dry and packed it up. Mostly creamy and bready with a bit of sweetness, was kind of like Knight but more smooth and more bread and baking spice notes coming through. Didn't feel the nic with this one like I did with Knight.

That's it for now, I think they were worth picking up on sale to try but I didn't exactly jump back on smokingpipes to order more either.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Had a round with Rook/Knight/King and I can give some quick impressions and maybe ill do a full review when I smoke some more of this stuff. Ill start off by saying the aroma from the tin on all three was nice and very promising. As well as the cut and general presentation in the tin. Also all three behaved very well in the pipe and took the light easily and burned to ash easily after drying to my preference. None of them bit me.

King is the only VaPer of the three I tried so I'll start with that. Its not really your typical VaPer in terms of flavors and honestly I feel like there is some DFK or burley in the mix. Its very rustic tasting and the perique starts to pop up 1/3 or maybe half way into the bowl (at first I couldn't tell if there was perique at all) and its fruity/plummy but its in the background for sure and I find myself puffing more frequently to taste it when it does eventually pop up. I need more time with this one. Its light to medium brown in the tin broken flake/ribbon. Very light colored for a VaPer I think. This kind of reminded me of Old Gowrie but just reminded me of it and nothing more.

Knight is a broken flake Virginia, medium to golden brown with a nice mix of broken flake and ribbon. It doesn't taste super bright, its more rustic like the VA's in King somewhat bready and creamy like capstan (but not nearly as deep) with the brighter hay and more typical VA flavors in the background. Some sweetness is there but not a whole lot. I felt a bit of nic with this one as well.

Rook was probably my favorite of the three if I had to pick. A well packed light to medium brown flake in the K&K style. I rubbed out two flakes into ribbons let it dry and packed it up. Mostly creamy and bready with a bit of sweetness, was kind of like Knight but more smooth and more bread and baking spice notes coming through. Didn't feel the nic with this one like I did with Knight.

That's it for now, I think they were worth picking up on sale to try but I didn't exactly jump back on smokingpipes to order more either.
just have to say that what title a blend gets. VA Vaper etc only tells you what they want you to know is in it before you buy it. Which is to say yeah there is often a pinch of this or that in a blend that isn't listed. Heck some aros that are listed as a certain flavor often have other things added as well. That's why I don't read up on blends and just pick them at random or if a description grabs my goat.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
just have to say that what title a blend gets. VA Vaper etc only tells you what they want you to know is in it before you buy it. Which is to say yeah there is often a pinch of this or that in a blend that isn't listed. Heck some aros that are listed as a certain flavor often have other things added as well. That's why I don't read up on blends and just pick them at random or if a description grabs my goat.
Yeah for sure. I fired up King again last night, this time in a different pipe and I enjoyed it a lot more. Still think I was tasting some DFK but it was only really there in the first third. I got a lot more perique this time and I'm starting to come around on this blend.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah for sure. I fired up King again last night, this time in a different pipe and I enjoyed it a lot more. Still think I was tasting some DFK but it was only really there in the first third. I got a lot more perique this time and I'm starting to come around on this blend.
A lot of my favorite blends aren't the ones that rolled me up in a carpet and through me in a lake the first time I smoked them. Usually it's more of a this is good but not wow. And then a over time I start going oh wow this is on the list of can't live without it. Part of the reason I recommend trying everything out there but over a slow and long period of time.

Reactions: Peter Turbo