PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You do sarcasm very subtly.
Oppenheimer had a 100 million dollar budget.

I’d guess a million or two was spent on painstaking historical accuracy, right down to Harry Truman’s office paintings.

It is about twice as long as the typical movie, The theaters that play it get half the usual gate for the evening.

I watched about fifty college kids leave the theatre busting with pride, over their own native land.

A man named Oppenheimer brought the stars down to earth and released fire.

It couldn’t have worked without the entire film looking like you were in a time warp.

Jan 27, 2020
Oppenheimer had a 100 million dollar budget.

I’d guess a million or two was spent on painstaking historical accuracy, right down to Harry Truman’s office paintings.

It is about twice as long as the typical movie, The theaters that play it get half the usual gate for the evening.

I watched about fifty college kids leave the theatre busting with pride, over their own native land.

A man named Oppenheimer brought the stars down to earth and released fire.

It couldn’t have worked without the entire film looking like you were in a time warp.

Cool story!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

That was actually their bladders busting.

The time warp effect would be more convincing if he included something from a bygone era they used to call intermission.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That was actually their bladders busting.

The time warp effect would be more convincing if he included something from a bygone era they used to call intermission.

Think how many millions more it could earn at 95 minutes?

I got up to get popcorn and they’d turned off the machine, no sales.

Not one college kid left their seats. They were glued down hard.

My wife is 11 years younger than me. All her life she thought America dropped atom bombs on those poor people in Japan.

She’d have lined up the Norden bombsight after watching Oppenheimer .:)

Good Lord, what a masterful work of truly righteous propaganda.:)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Good Lord, what a masterful work of truly righteous propaganda.:)
Oh I have no doubt it is propaganda...just like most everything else poured into those college kids' heads.

Whether it's righteous or not is another question. History is written by the winners. (can we still say history? herstory? theirstory? ... let's just say story, and leave it at that)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Oh I have no doubt it is propaganda...just like most everything else poured into those college kids' heads.

Whether it's righteous or not is another question. History is written by the winners. (can we still say history? herstory? theirstory? ... let's just say story, and leave it at that)
This one is three hours and fifteen minutes of pure historical fact.

I grew up with nothing but, pure history in school, but they stopped after WW1.

I don’t think Nolan could have made Oppenheimer when any Americans were still living that argued FDR was responsible for Pearl Habor. My own grandmother used to believe that to the core of her soul.

The truth was, Admiral Yamamoto had a lot to do with it.:)

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Seen it.
It was quite good, but way too long. Towards the end I was looking forward to it finishing.

If it comes on tv, I might give it a miss.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Dunkirk was a waste of time for me. I enjoy war pics/historical stuff but the way the "story" was presented, overwhelming at times noise, noise, noise and some fictionalized "cliches" put me off. Even though it skirts some bits of accuracy and Churchill-o-philes know there is so much more (but like Dunkirk only so much you can do in a movie), The Darkest Hour by contrast is a much better film in just about every way and what little there was of the Dunkirk matter was more interesting than the movie Nolan made. Now, Nolan didn't make a semi-bio pic, but others have conveyed what I guess he wanted to convey a lot better, even decades ago in other war pics, while providing a more historical context. I guess I enjoyed Mark Rylance, but I always do.

This one holds no interest for me at all - I could give a rats a__ about Oppenheimer as a person so not willing to invest 3 hours of my time in him. My wife is anxious to watch so I'm sure when it is available on the small screen she'll give me a full report - she just wants to see Einstein.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
The film I want to see made is the voyage of the Russian second Pacific squadron from the Baltic, to its demise at the battle of Tsushima in 1905. So much happend on that voyage it would make an excellent film.

Drachinifel has a youtube video on it. Below.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The film I want to see made is the voyage of the Russian second Pacific squadron from the Baltic, to its demise at the battle of Tsushima in 1905. So much happend on that voyage it would make an excellent film.

Drachinifel has a youtube video on it. Below.

To understand why the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, you must first understand Tsushima.

On paper the Russians had a superior fleet of modern steel battleships.

It would have taken a few years, but the Russians could have out built the Japanese building war ships and eventually sailed into Tokyo Bay.

Instead the Russians negotiated a peace.

The Americans, instead summoned Oppenheimer.:)

Yes, I’d like to see a Tshushima movie.

Right after Admiral Souchon and the flight of the Goeben.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Right after Admiral Souchon and the flight of the Goeben.

Another interesting story.

Did you know that the Russians learnt lessons from Tsushima.

The Russian Black sea Pre-dreadnoughts fought as a single firing unit of 12 inch gunned ships. The centre ship controlled the fire of all the ships in the squadron. They twice gave Goeben and Breslau a hot reception.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee