PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I have enjoyed virtually all of Nolas pics and this topic is a good one. Given that, I think it would have to try hard to be bad.

Also, If you like the subject, timeframe and characters, I can't recommend enough the TV show "Manhattan". It's well worth the investment of time and money to purchase if you can't fit for free.

p10526556_b_h8_ag.jpg

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Should be pretty easy to predict whether it's for you. Did you like Nolan's Dunkirk?

Reactions: JOHN72

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I have seen Dunkirk. It was ok.
I think Oppenheimer will be right up my street.
I have read a few books on the subject.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The Oppenheimer biography American Prometheus was excellent. Recommended.

Nolan, however, keeps trying to tell serious stories in a comic book style.

Interstellar, for example. Told in a Star Wars "tone", it could have been good. Or it could have been good if told in a scientifically plausible one. But instead, we get stuff like a guy jumping into a fighter-jet-sized craft powered by reaction engines to travel to one of Saturn's moons where he'll dive into an energy warp/time fold sort of thing which will spit him out at the edge of a black hole which he'll also dive into, which will take him to an exact point in space and time in another GALAXY (!?) where he will find the girl he had the hots for but left behind.

Um, no.

Little doubt the new Oppenheimer movie will get the same comic book treatment. Nolan seems incapable of helping himself regarding it.

PS --- anyone interested in the full history of atomic bomb development, as opposed to one man's contribution, this is considered the benchmark:

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 1.51.54 PM.png

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Oppenheimer biography American Prometheus was excellent. Recommended.

Nolan, however, keeps trying to tell serious stories in a comic book style.
I feel like the higher budget he has to work with the less I'll like his movies. I don't think I've really liked one of his movies since he got to the point where he's been labeled a genius and got a genius sized budget.

Reactions: canucklehead

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be interested in the movie drama, and also the documentary to be shown next Sunday night at 10 p.m. EDT on TV -- see your local listings.

Oppenheimer was a complicated person taking on an even far more complicated military and moral conundrum, but if he hadn't done it, there were plenty who would have, so he was hardly the "only man."

The Nazis had the necessary theory and concept, so the Manhattan project was essentially playing what its leaders thought was catch-up. Hitler started out so far ahead on technology with aircraft and submarines, he didn't consign the resources for a super bomb.

Oppenheimer thought humankind wouldn't graduate from atomic to hydrogen bombs, because that would make war impossible. We see how that worked out. We now face potential human extinction, the extinction of many other species, and maybe of life itself. Good job.

However, to the Marine Corps assault troops in the Pacific before the end of the war, faced with endless massive assaults on the Japanese homeland, the bomb was a blessing. One older WWII Marine Corps veteran friend carried a photo of the Enola Gay, one of the bombers that dropped one of the bombs, in his wallet like the photo of family. For him, it was his ticket back to life.

In terms of civilian casualties, I believe the firebombing of Japanese cities toward the end of the war was greater than the atomic bombs. The U.S. Army General Curtis Lemay who coordinated that bombing said, if we lost the war, he'd be tried as war criminal.

Last edited:

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I might wait until it can be streamed. I generally like Nolan films. Loved memento, Inception and the Dark Knight trilogy. Dunkirk was ok. Two films I didn't really like were Tenet and Interstellar, mainly due to inadible dialogue. I am not keen on the sound editing and loudness of the background noise in some of his films.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Two films I didn't really like were Tenet and Interstellar, mainly due to inadible dialogue. I am not keen on the sound editing and loudness of the background noise in some of his films.

It's not just you.

People have been complaining about it for years.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 3.57.00 PM.png

The pushback has made no difference. If anything, Nolan has doubled down, insisting that not being able to hear or understand what characters say forces audiences to "enter the world of the film more completely because greater attention and concentration is required", and high music dB levels are "more immersive" . Yadda yadda

...even after being told BY those audiences it doesn't work that way.

That's some GradeAAA Prime #1 narcissistic bullshit, right there.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's not just you.

People have been complaining about it for years.

View attachment 231494

The pushback has made no difference. If anything, Nolan has doubled down, insisting that not being able to hear or understand what characters say forces audiences to "enter the world of the film more completely because greater attention and concentration is required", and high music dB levels are "more immersive" . Yadda yadda

...even after being told BY those audiences it doesn't work that way.

That's some GradeAAA Prime #1 narcissistic bullshit, right there.
that's how art works. The other side of it is that audiences are free to not see whatever.
Or to put it another way I think he's a total wanker at this point and I doubt he's crying over that.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Dunkirk was unwatchable because of the soundtrack. Waiting to hear if his latest offering is better before spending money to go to a theater.

Oppenheimer was, as my mother used to say, an odd duck. For all of his genius, he made a number of unusual decisions in his personal life, these came back to haunt him in his later years. The best books of his life and times are American Prometheus, Making of the Atomic Bomb, and Dark Sun; the latter two by Richard Rhodes. The early part of the 20th century was a heyday for physics particularly what is now called Quantum Mechanics. Oppenheimer stood out among giants like Einstein, Hans Bethe, Erwin Schroedinger, Teller, Enrico Fermi, the Curies, Richard Feynman, and others. The discoveries made with the crude experimental devices available at the time are astonishing.