Anyone Remember the TRS-80 Model 100 / Tandy 102 Computers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been reading and enjoying Hackers by Stephen Levy, about the young hackers at MIT in the late 1950s/early 1960s who were pushing the envelope regarding what a microcomputer could do.
I'm not a computer geek in the programming/hacking sense at all. But it got me thinking about my own early machines: The Tandy 102 portable, the Tandy Color Computer II (very briefly), and then my first full-fledged MS-DOS machines. I loved the 102, which was the slimmer successor to the Model 100, introduced in 1986. It weighed just over 3 pounds, ran for 20 hours on 4 AA batteries, had an 8-line, 40-character LCD screen, built-in 300-baud modem, and built-in programs for text, scheduling, address book, telecommunications (which meant logging onto BBSes and CompuServe/Delphi back then), and a maximum of 32K RAM. Compared with my 128Gb iPad Air, it was the equivalent of scratching cave pictures on a wall with a rock versus Shakespeare. But that doesn't make the memory of that machine any less appealing.
I literally threw my 102 away six or so years ago. I knew that the machines I had then far exceeded its capabilities. I also tossed every issue of Portable 100 that I had, the magazine that grew up to celebrate the 100/102/200/600 family of Tandy portables. But now I'm wishing I had kept it. It had BASIC built-in -- meaning, you could program the thing yourself -- and it had tons of third-party peripherals and a large -- and still existing -- fan base of supporters who wrote and shared software, developed fascinating implementations, etc. In short, I'm beginning to understand the "romance" or nostalgia that folks have with older, outdated machines.
Thankfully, I've discovered a Web site where someone has scanned in every issue of Portable 100 for downloading. It's fascinating to go back to 1983, when the Model 100 came out, and read just how excited everyone was about this computer. In two years, they'd sold 6 million of these machines. And Bill Gates himself has said that it holds a very special place in his heart, with the OS representing the last time he wrote the bulk of the code for a project. (Microsoft wrote the software.) Like the iPad, the Model 100 was life-changing and visionary. But it came out at a time when computers were so new to the general public that there was genuine giddiness about a product like this. The idea that you could take a computer in your briefcase or on a plane was revolutionary -- especially at a time when a so-called laptop computer typically weighed over 12 pounds and cost upwards of $4,000.
I know I'm rambling. But I just love revisiting that time when this was all new and truly exciting and no one had any idea where all of this would lead. Don't get me wrong: I'd never trade my iPad for a Tandy 102. But I think there's value in having both: One for all of the truly incredible things it can do today and one to remind me of where things all started.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Here's a nice appreciation from 2009: http://blog.timesunion.com/chuckmiller/the-tandy-102-the-original-netbook/207/.
ae1:
I had a coworker who had that Compaq! It was so heavy, though, that the category was referred to as "luggable," not necessarily portable! And most definitely NOT a laptop, unless you had thighs of steel. :)
Bob

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
How about the TI 99A4
My first computer ... ahhh memories!

It was followed closely behind by the Commodore 64.
However, Atari quickly stole my heart.

I mean, come on, can you compete with the likes of Pitfall or Frogger?? :)

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
My parents bought a TRS 80 and I spent hours on little programs to display crude moving images across the TV screen. Later I bought one of the little Timex units but the smooth microswitch "keyboard" was a pain to use. Later I was able to score a Compaq Portable Plus at the office to keep track of purchasing contracts and inventory. I think my manager was quite impressed when I could provide up-to-date & accurate inventory reports at his request. Next was interfacing a reel-to-reel data tape machine to an IBM PC for direct deposit banking. Way crude stuff compared to all we have access to today. :mrgreen:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Although I kept the Tandy 102 for almost 20 years, my first "real" computer was the CoCo2. . . which I had for exactly one week before I realized how much I really loved computers -- I'd been an avowed hater before -- and decided to return it for a Tandy 1000. 128k of RAM, a *single* disk drive. . . and not much else. I added a second floppy and then, when I was "flush," I added an internal 30Mb hard drive on a card. That 30Mb drive cost me just over $300.
But, man, I was SET. Because who could EVER need more than 30Mb? I mean, ever?
The T1000 was great fun. . . but it ran Tandy's slightly altered version of PC-DOS. Which had. . . um. . . issues.
Bob

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I remember the apple computers in school and typing all class to finally hit the run button and have.

I LOVE YOU MOM. Scroll across the screen. Ahhhh that was win we said the pledge of allegiance and got paddled if we got in trouble

May 31, 2012
It was followed closely behind by the Commodore 64.
However, Atari quickly stole my heart.

I mean, come on, can you compete with the likes of Pitfall or Frogger??
:D

No doubt!
It was a Vic 20 for me first though, then the C64, then like you said,

it was Atari all the way!!!
I spent alotta time playing Bezerk!

LOL

bezerk2.png

berzerk2.gif

:

:

A really good read somewhat on topic would be Neal Stephenson's essay,

In the Beginning... Was the Command Line

pdf here:

http://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Stephenson-CommandLine-1999.pdf

:

:

:

stamp_vic20_youngster.jpg

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
LOL! I wrote my first computer program in Basic on a Trash 80 in high school. It was a boxing game that looked similar to the Intellivision boxing game. I was pretty proud of that game. Not long after that I remember my dad bought us a Commodore 64.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, yes - my little brother bought a Vic-20 with his paper route money. We never got a disk drive for it - we stuck with the cassette-tape program loader, and an RF filter for the TV connection... I got interested in programming (wrote one to generate Dungeons and Dragons character stats, and another to cast I Ching hexagrams), but lost interest later on, when I found out how much math one needed to take in order to major in Computer Science at the time...
And now, I work in IT support. Go figure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, man, a blast from the past. I have a friend who wrote a novel on one of those early brands -- maybe a Kapro?

At work they started us out with an off-brand DecMate. It didn't have IBM, Microsoft, nor Apple software, just its

own "word processing" software, which wasn't good. Really frustrating to use. I campaigned for an apple for what

was then quaintly called "desktop publishing," for our newsletter and booklets and such. But we were commanded to

use Microsoft, which was not good for the purpose at that time. However, the scientists rebelled and all got Apples,

enmasse, and I struggled for years with user unfriendly Microsoft. The aversion therapy to computers worked well.

I'm still alienated from technology. I have a Flintstone phone, and no laptop, tablet, nor "smart phone." I came to

computers late, and they have never been fun. Except for Forums, and I admit for manuscripts, they are unavoidable.

But I still miss the percussion of a manual typewriter. I am soooo retro. Alas.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Yup, my best friend had the trash 80! I was too cool with my Commodore 64, tape drive and all! 64 K of super memory.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought those PC's were just a virus waiting to happen..so we went a different way. Now that I think about it, a virus was what you caught in the winter (when did the first computer virus appear?).
My wife did accounting work for a CPA who used Mac's. So, in 1990 when Apple introduced the "Classic" we bought one. I remember telling our owner about the reports I generated and printed on a dot-matrix printer for our restaurant safety program. A year later, everyone in our office had a computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic
We popped for the $1,499 model which had 2 MB memory expansion card and a 40 MB hard disk. Did PC's have a mouse back then or did that only come with windows? The Apple system was very intuitive and you could learn on the fly.
snap11.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Al:
The computer mouse was invented around 1963, but it first appeared on a consumer microcomputer in 1973, the Xerox Alta. Microsoft launched the first mouse of the MS-DOS era in 1983 when they introduced it along with a mouse-driven version of Word. This was pre-Windows.
The use of a mouse with a graphical interface didn't occur until Apple included a one-button mouse with the ground-breaking Macintosh that came out in 1984, which predated Windows by a year.
Bob

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Wow that is a blast form the past. One of my former collecting passions (I know it's still in me somewhere) was collecting vintage computers and video game consoles and stand ups. I still have a Tandy 102 and it was a great achievement. I was more of an Atari guy myself. I still have my Portfolio, 800, 7800, 1040ST and 130XE packed away. Many thanks for bringing back some memories. :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm trying to put my finger on what it is about these earlier machines that can touch us with nostalgia. Maybe it's that we were (most likely) young and really excited about discovering these computers; so, now we associate them with adolescence or our teen years. (Or, more like early 20s for me!) But they also managed to capture our imagination in a way that modern computers never will (in my opinion): They were made to be programmed by the user; they were made to be taken apart and expanded and souped-up; they were made for exploration and discovery, not just completing a predefined task.
I love my iMac. I love my iPad. I certainly wouldn't want to replace them with one of these much more primitive machines. But computers these days are not made with the same intent; they're made to do work, to play along predefined lines, to provide a more standard experience. My guess is that the shift happened when computers fully moved from being hobbyist machines to becoming common business tools and home-entertainment devices.
For me, pre-PC machines are going to hold a unique appeal. Because, let's face it: Is anyone going to get teary-eyed over their last Dell?
Bob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The new AMC television show "Halt & Catch Fire" premieres next Sunday, it could be interesting. (depicts the 1980's PC revolution)
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/03/09/amcs-halt-catch-fire-pilot-brilliantly-depicts-wild-west-1980s-pc-revolution/

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You can already watch that premiere episode on the Web (at AMC's site) and on the AMC iPad app. I saw it last week and thought it was pretty good. It's an odd blend of fact and fiction, though.
I'm actually getting a much bigger kick out of HBO's "Silicon Valley." Absolutely hilarious -- if you aren't offended by strong language -- and apparently spot-on in nailing the Silicon Valley vibe.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.