PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"British photographer Daniel Freeman travelled more than 25,000 miles (40,000km) across the US to capture scenes of small towns lit only by streetlights, shop fronts and moonlight."

Photographing the "endless diversity" of America by streetlight - BBC News

These photographs have a certain magic about them which wouldn't be so obvious if taken in raw daylight. They also show some interesting architectural features that otherwise might be missed.

Do you see your town here I wonder?

Enjoy.

Regards,

Jay.

Beautiful photographs. I didn't see my town, but the thing that attracts most people to come here is the vintage feel of the town, that and we do tend to rank in the top ten for safety, livability, and that small town "feel." We get lots of photographers combing through here each weekend.

When I first moved here the city was posting all of these banners all over town every time we would rank #1 in the nation for "best cities," then of course builders would be attracted to the town, and then next thing you know we have more people than the infrastructure can handle.
Recently, we won an award for best tasting city water in the nation, ha ha. No kidding. Our city actually sells it's water to the other surrounding cities, because ours tastes the best. I haven't seen a #1 city ion the nation banner in a few years.
Maybe the explosion we had a few years ago, and the tornado will slow down some of this development. I really do hate this traffic now.

1617108958524.png

1617109034574.png

A dirty little secret about our town is that it was one of the last places in Alabama where slavery was tolerated. Alabama passed these Draconian laws, saying that if a black man didn't have two dollars on him, he was a vagrant, sentenced to life as a prisoner in the coal mines here, where he worked till death. This continued up until after WWI, about 1920. We have a whole museum in town for it. And, the city hall is now built on top of one of the largest slave graveyards in the state. The graves stretch across the entire length of down town, most left unmarked. I'm really scared to dig each time I plant a new tree in my yard.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"....then of course builders would be attracted to the town, and then next thing you know we have more people than the infrastructure can handle."

Sadly that is so often the case in any place that is attractive Michael. The very same thing is happening right now on the outskirts of Truro (the only city in Cornwall) where they are building satellites of the town.

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Which is what?

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Don't see any I recognize. But I'm sure like almost everyone else, Alaska doesn't jump to mind for Mr. Freeman when he thinks of the "The US" haha.

Cool photos nonetheless, definitely evoke that "small town feel"

Reactions: mawnansmiff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Honestly one of them looks familiar. But I can't say for sure. The ones that look familiar don't remind me of places I've been but places I've seen other photos of. So only a slim chance they are anything more then similar to towns I've known people from ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some railroad trips are like a time machine because the tracks run through so many of the older parts of cities and towns and you see a lot that was built before World War II. The gentle rocking of the train induces a sort of hypnosis so you forget to expect this, and is surprises you again and again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A photo in my head dates back to when a high school friend got married and moved with his wife to an apartment not far from Wrigley Field on the northwest side. Most of the buildings were older, the neighborhood pub and little retail stores and lots of apartments. One old building was actually covered with tarpaper siding, and up on the second floor was a lit window, and in the window was a full size orchestral harp. Never forgot that.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I cannot extoll the merits of pictures, however well-taken, that laud the drab, unimaginative American architecture in downtowns across the nation. Why are boxes beautiful?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many years ago I would fantasise about crossing the US from east to west on a hired Harley then coming back via Greyhound Bus. No time limit either way.

I should imagine I would have seen the best of America by travelling thus.

Regards,

Jay ?
Depends on the route you'd take.

And return?? Train trumps bus, car trumps train. Chauffered limo perhaps? Not my taste, but some will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.