PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Anyone know what nuking tobacco actually does? I recently purchased a cheap aromatic (chocolate). The flavor was great, but very glycoly and or other strange chemical tatse. I nuked it for about 20 seconds, let it dry and there is a vast improvement.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I suppose it would dry it out faster. Since I avoid cheap aromatics like the plague (been there,done that), I have no reason to try it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
On the other hand, blends from Samuel Gawith are notoriously moist. So I wonder if this method will help with those. Maybe I'll try it tonight before we lose power from Sandy. Stay tuned.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I do it, but if you got an 1100 watt micro, go easy on the seconds because you can set it on fire, ask me how I know LOL, and don"t do it when the the wife is home or you" ll never hear the end of it. The old cajun

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Sage advise from a man who knows how to stay out of trouble with the wife! Apparently the don't like when you grab their cooking funnels for the garage either!

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
out of the microwave, my tobacco was actually steaming. Spread it out and it dries fairly fast. Definitely dries the tobacco. No ill effects. I would try it in increments, experimenting with different times (seconds).

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I did some Golden Damask and it was steaming like lazy dog said , thought I had ruined it, took a paper towel wet it with a good Shiraz threw it in a jar with the tobbaco and shook it for a couple days, took paper towel out the next day and loaded up damn good smoke, need to do it again. The old cajun

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Old Cajun... Ya got my curiosity goin with your Shiraz ambiance blend so I took some Turkish baccy and threw some imitation vanilla over it. Put it an infrared oven for about a minute which dried it back out of wet, and by God it is a good smoke. Turkish vanilla? Think I'll "spritz" the vanilla evenly next time around. The turkish is a bit sour by nature and this sweetens it up just right. Thanx for the impetus ol Cajun., Dog :wink:

Jul 15, 2011
I tried this with some MacBaren 7 Seas Royal here about a year ago. Nuke it for about 20 seconds, and I nuked it for five seconds a shot. Didnt work too bad, but I actually like baking my baccy underneath a desk lamp bulb for 15-20 minutes before I load the pipe up. Seems to work best for me.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I just sit my tobacco out if it needs to dry, since i usually use my micro for food, I was skeptical about the transfer of taste?

Jul 15, 2011
I was skeptical about the transfer of taste?
I was actually worried about this too, but the couple of times that I did it I had no ill effects with food flavors getting into the tobacco or tobacco flavors getting into the food, but I didnt really nuke any large batches of tobacco, so I dont know how it would work in the long run.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have nuked before and it surely does dry your tobacco faster. My only concern is if it cooks off some of the casing.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Since some of the tobacco blenders toast, steam and otherwise heat their leaf, I wonder if a few too many seconds in the microwave would be altering the blend - not necessarily for the worse, just different.
hp

les

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Micro-waving tobacco is a risk. A quality (non-PG) tobacco will never require it. That leaves tobacco heavily laden with PG. Nuking it will not improve it as the preservative is very protective (as it is intended to be). There is no easy answer to heavily-laden PG store bought tobacco in bulk. You either like it for what it is or, you don't. Just my opinion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Cant say that I've ever thought about going this route... If I have an overly moist tobacco that I wish to enjoy I simply pack my pipe and let it sit for about 20 min before I light. I find this does the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.