Anyone know anything about straight razors?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I know this is not a pipe smoking topic, but, lets face it, pipe smokers are the kind of people who do things like shave with and collect straight razors. My grandfather and great grandfather were barbers and I have picked up a few things from them over the years. One is a straight razor made by Puma in the 60s. It was used by my grandfather in the barber shop so it has been sharpened and stropped. the blade itself is about 1" wide and has a couple of small dark spots on it that would buff right out with some metal polish. One side of the blade is etched with the German words FRISEUR FREUND No. 1. The arm of the blade is stamped 1 5/8 PUMA SOLINGEN, MADE IN GERMANY FROM BEST PUMA STEEL. I have had some folks tell me it's worth hundreds and some say its worth less. I know they are respected as one of the finest razor makers in the world, but that's about as much as I know. I know one thing...I need to get a brush, soap, a mug and a strop so that I can do my family proud and give myself a proper shave on Sundays.
dscf1232-600x450.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
From watching Sweeny Todd I know they're very dangerous jk. That is a very nice looking razor. I'd love for there to be a barber to go to and get a straight razor shave. The only one I know of here in Vegas is the outrageously overpriced one in Caesar's. I have seen a video on straight razor shaving on youtube which kind of sparked an interest, but being unemployed I should probably keep my spending to just one hobby for now.

300savage

Lurker
May 14, 2011
There is a great forum called straight razor place that has just about everything youll ever need to knoe about shaving with one.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Puma! I am also a collector! The older the steel the better.German made cutlery,pre 1982,were hand forged.This process alowing the steel to flake.You may have seen a pocket knife with the blade worn down?In newer knives,the steel seems to roll on the sharpening stone.I pack a German Eye brand knife,pre 1982,for the sole purpuse of the abbility to get a sharp edge easily,and maintaining the edge.The razor you have is a great one.I would say its value is in the $300.00 range.If your going to use it,you have the best razor for the job.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
str8 shaving is not that hard, even i can do it with bad hands. you need to go slow and remember no one ever bled to death from shaving....
this is a great font of knowledge for str8 shaving...
http://straightrazorplace.com/content/

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't use a straight razor, but I do shave with a safety razor. So, I use the brush and real shave cream/soap, and by God there is nothing better. The hot lather smells great, and feels amazing. It's a great way to start a day.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
All I know about straight razors is that I want to start using them to touch up my beard around the edges. To me the purity of using fine steel that is less based on the mass-market, conveyor belt aesthetic is fascinating.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'd love to try a straight razor. I use a brush and shaving soap in a cup that I purchased for my grandfather when I was very, very young. When he passed away, it was given back to me. Afterwards, my wife bought me a badger hair brush with a stone handle and some homemade shaving soap.
Great stuff. Definitely love the feel better than that canned crap.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Collin- It was your mention of Col. Conk's Bay Rum in another thread that caused me to finally order some. Arrived last week.
Very good stuff.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
ahhhh, bay rum.
no mater who makes it, when you splash it on your face you are in for an experiance...

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
straight razors are great for shaving just go slow there are several good articles on shaving with one just google straight razor shaving.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I did the straight razor thing for quite a while. It can be fun and rewarding.
It can also be dangerous. Be very careful and practice on easy area's to begin, and finish the shave with your regular razor. Move on to more difficult areas such as jawline under your lip next, progress slowly.
It's not fun to lay your cheek open.
If you drop it,....try to remember it's not something you can catch in mid-air to avoid damaging it.
Don't shave barefoot. :D

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I know www.knifecenter.com has an wide selection of shaving supplies. I dont have first hand experience with the razors, but they carry a lot of top quality blades so I'd expect there shaving supplies to be the same.

Some of their prices are really low, some are a little high, so shop around first.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
There is a pipemagazine.com member, flylot that has helped me in PMs and emails on straight razors. Start slow till you get the hang of it.
The above mentioned razor sites are great information with u tube instruction videos. 8)

adam12

May 16, 2011
Badger and Blade is fun, but I am really intimidated by all those guys. They are extreme experts about the art of shaving and I feel like some noob with no clue. But it is fun to look at all the shaving gear they have.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Puma is one of the better staights and they are sought after by collectors . I say keep it and strop up the edge on some folded newspaper if you do not have a leather strop . I on occasion use a staight , just go real slow with no pressure . Probably best to start on the cheeks until you get the hang of it . And you wipe the lather off on a towel instead of rinsing under the faucet .Now if you think pipes are habit forming you should try real shaving . :eek:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Some 40 years ago I was a barber/barber instructor. The most important thing in maintaining the blade's sharpness is occasional honing with what at least used to be called a whetstone. Always use lather when honing the blade, and to soften or season the leather of a strop, and to clean the canvas when needed. When using a strop, always use the canvas side first, which helps freshen the blades edge, and then the leather, to remove any micro-burrs from the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.