Anyone Here Opt for Wine or Cocktails...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tend to only drink wine with woman who want to drink but don't like liquor. Otherwise I drink liquors and mainly sip them. I don't get heartburn from beer but it does make me feel fat and over fed. I also like drinking Kava Kava. which is a root of a plant related to peppers and it is relaxing without shutting down your brain functions. For me it's much more agreeable to my system. Some people who have had problems with drinking too much have tried it and found a new way to relax that isn't as bad for them. Though you have to make sure the place you buy from has the right kind.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Ooooo, and I make a mean ginger beer, usually between 8 and 10% abv, but very spicy and refreshing on a hot summer day. It is technically a wine, but.... I didn't mean to make it such a strong beverage, but once I made the mistake, all of my friends started going crazy for it. I give away about five gallons a summer. I use a fragrant raw brown sugar, and grow the ginger in my garden, and then I add in juniper berries and rosemary. It reminds me of Mountain Dew, but my friends all say that it is definitely a Jamaican style Ginger beer. so... anyways...
Yep that sounds fantastic. Would make a mean Moscow mule.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm near 67 and stopped drinking beer in my 20's. Never was that crazy for the flavor. Just something my buddies drank then, though an occasional Guinness was a bit better. took up red wine after my cardiac by-pass operation some 7+ years ago as my body became sensitive to spirits, but lately have added occasional Irish whiskey to the mix.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I mostly drink spirits and an occasional beer - almost no wine

Here ... in decreasing order of frequency

1. Single Malts - About 25 bottles a year
2. Bourbon / American Whiskey- 2-4 bottles a year
3. Rum < 1 bottle a year, but when I buy I finish within a couple of months
4. Tequila < 1 bottle a year, but when I buy I finish within a couple of months
5. Beer - 6/7 six packs a year (Or maybe less)

Anything else I drink on a strictly exception basis
I go thru 3 bottles of bourbon a week 1.75L, and usually a case a beer

I love Ciders as well. Ciders and/sours will defiantly give you some new things to experiment with. Tons of variety.
I made a cider this Fall. It fermented to 18%, which is way above the tolerance of the yeast according to the packets, but I guess yeast can't read. But, I drank one mug of it, and had a hard time keeping my balance. I nearly fell into the shrubs. It was awful. Then, I woke up with the worst headache in history. I know that applejack will give you apple palsy, but I'm wondering of there is a biproduct of apple fermentation that causes more of these methanols to form even in ciders.
I am now terrified of making ciders.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I made a cider this Fall. It fermented to 18%, which is way above the tolerance of the yeast according to the packets, but I guess yeast can't read. But, I drank one mug of it, and had a hard time keeping my balance. I nearly fell into the shrubs. It was awful. Then, I woke up with the worst headache in history. I know that applejack will give you apple palsy, but I'm wondering of there is a biproduct of apple fermentation that causes more of these methanols to form even in ciders.
Hahaha. It's like in cave man days trying to figure out what berries not to eat. Trial and error.

Most of the sours I drink are in the 4-7% rage. Quite low. You could very well be right about weird things growing above 15%.

My favorite sours are from a Local brewery with a National reputation. Urban Artifact. Top Shelf. "The Gadget" is amazing. They do a Fin Tart Pale Ale that is fantastic as well.

Reactions: JOHN72

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I think pectin content can play a part.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I always have a problem with reflux after a beach trip, usually because one of my friends and I go through about three or four bottles of gin, two bottles of rum and a bottle of tequila in less than a week. I have started taking three products about a week before, during and a week after, Friendly Flora, Digest Assure and Aloe pills, and it keeps the reflux away.

As for my general drinking, it's mostly beer and cocktails. Ayinger, Samuel Smith or Anchor are my favorite beers. I like a good gin and tonic, margarita, Paloma, Rum Collins or a Mai Tai (or any classic Tiki drink). For wine, I drink a lot of Port, otherwise I might drink a bottle or two of Beaujolais a year with a few random social glasses thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.