PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
I'm still looking for that one blend I just can't do without. I am having fun looking though.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
With only a year under my belt with this journey, I am nowhere near ready to be one trick.

I buy something different every time I shop for baccy.

I will admit to repurchasing Presbyterian and McConnell Oriental, so perhaps the road is narrowing slightly.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Brigham's Muskoka Blend is a favourite that I always have on hand.

I'm currently in the seeking out phase trying many different blends in an attempt to broaden my tobacco horizons and come up with a few more regulars.

GLP Jack Knife Plug is one I am becoming very fond of.

I can see myself settling in with 4 or 5 favs but I also see myself continuing to try new blends to keep tabs on what's out there. :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I got lost in the trees. To answer the question more directly, I don't have A go to blend but I do have go to blends in each class of blend, e.g. favorite VaPers, English, Balkans, etc. Jkrug reminded of GLP Jacknife. That is my favorite plug.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I somewhat envy the three-trick pony smokers. They know what they're getting and are somewhat happy most times. (Some days, your taste is just off, but c'est la vie.)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'd smoke Condor 2 out of every 3 pipes if I could, but at a dollar a smoke and about 1000 smokes a year, it's too expensive. Over the last month I've dropped $600 on it, which is about 3 pounds. Was going to order another $400 this morning but the prospect of another 2 lbs @ $200 a lb suddenly evoked restraint, and at the last minute I bought 5 lbs of Royal Yacht in the smokingpipes sale. Good thing I smoke so many cobs:).

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I smoke Captain Black White Label most of the day, but in the evening it's usually Mississippi River or Peterson Irish Flake, with my Jamieson or Bushmills. Recently I tried Molto Dolce and reordered 4 tins, I am trying to pace myself, I think I could smoke a whole tin in one evening.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I find I keep making my way back to C and D Crooner. I enjoy the ritual of preparing tobacco and drying/packing, but sometimes it is nice to come home from a hectic day and just open the jar, scoop up some cube cut, light, tamp and be off to the races. No muss no fuss.
Those hectic days have been a little more frequent as of late so the Crooner is getting some mileage.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
The old time pipe smokers were big on brand loyalty and would smoke their favorite codger blend for a lifetime, or if they changed brands, it was a life changing act.

Mso489, ain't that the truth, and it made life easier on their stocking tobacconist.

My friend Methusela finished his stash of Revelation and was so distraught that he wrote a book about it.
...I'm almost exclusively MM965. I dabble in Presbyterian and the new Black House.

Al,

I just sold my 4 tins of Presbyterian but had I known that you like it, they would have been in your mailbox.
I go through periods of expansion and contraction [in the number of mixtures that I'm smoking or trying out) but there's usually a couple of core blends that I'm smoking. I'm stocked up on Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana and Bright CR flakes for this reason.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a 28 trick pony with all of them being flakes. I have gone through tons of different blends over the years especially in the beginning, but I narrowed it down to 28 in my cellar and I am very comfortable with that number. I will keep my eyes open for a new flake and when I find one I will add it to the cellar like I did with the Capstan Blue Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A generous Forums member sent me an incredible sampler of blends, among them Rattray's Marlin Flake, which for those who haven't tried it, is a Va/Per, so I can readily appreciate it being someone's favorite blend, or one of two. Right now, I have so many good blends on hand, and a list of so many with highest recommendations, I'm euphoric. The golden age of pipe tobacco blends, I think.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I have found that I enjoy three blends far more than others: 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher, Rattray's Marlin Flake, and Lane Limited Black Raspberry for an aro. With that being said, I have only been smoking for a couple of years and I lack the experience many of you have. Trying to diversify my blends, but have found that none seem to come close to tasting quite as good as those top three for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.