PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you don't know what it is, it is similar to smoked Salmon but much more buttery and more flavor in my opinion. There is only one place around me which is about 50 minutes at least away from me. If you are a fan of smoked salmon then I believe you will love smoked Sable even better.
At Costco you can easily get smoked Salmon for about 20 bucks a pound or so. Smoked Salbe is a round 40.00 a pound or more. In some places in NYC it can be 60-70 a pound. I eat it on a fresh Garlic or Onion Bagel, never toasted. I eat a smoked Salmon bagel with red onion, and tomato. Some like them with Capers, I don't like those. I like my Sabel plain on the bagel. If you are a fan of smoked fish, then you need to try some smoked Sable as for my tastes nothing beats it. It is made from Black Cod.

Since I am on the subject anyone here a fan of fresh Salmon Caviar? I love the stuff. I eat it a couple of ways. One is to get a nice fresh croissant slap some butter on it and then load it up with the fresh caviar. Another way is to get fresh rye bread, toast it and then slather butter on it and then load it with butter. I dated a Russian chick for a while and she turned me on to it and I love it. Be careful of drinking with a true Russian woman. We were at a cool Russian restaurant right near the Miami international airport and this place was pretty cool. They had all kinds of floor shows and singing and they bring out all kinds of ice cold bottles of Vodka and we would drink and eat all kinds of smoked meats and cheeses and pickled foods. I can hold my liquor pretty well and this girl drank me under the table like I was a 10 year old. She had to drive us back to the hotel as we were going to the Bahamas the next morning. She put a hurting on me and I learned my lesson. I was not even trying to get slammed as we were eating the whole time but the Vodka went down like water. I am of Russian heritage and Vodka is my drink but she buried me.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I've not heard it called smoked Sable, but I've definitely had my share of smoked Black Cod and smoked Lingcod. Man, they are good. I love smoked salmon, but i'll choose smoked black cod every time. My favorite salmon roe is Ikura, a Japanese style one, that is cured in sake and a little soy sauce, making it just a tad darker and sweeter than normal. At by Bro-in-law's wedding (he's a commercial fisherman) I ate probably $500 worth of that stuff. I really miss living on the Washington coast sometimes.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I might have. I don't know. About 20 years ago at my friend's wedding, us two Americans had to defend the American honor against 4-5 Russian guys. My friend was marrying his Russian girlfriend. Drank ton of Vodka, ate ton of food, and I don't remember much of that night. My friend woke up inside his dresser closet next morning.

Aug 1, 2012
Here's a story about sable fish that I'm telling "for a friend."

This "friend" went to a restaurant in eastern Europe and enjoyed a beautiful tasting meal of sable, sauteed mushrooms, some mixed veg and a nice local beer to go along with it. The next day at a meeting with his new employer, he realized that he had to break wind. Now his farts could be extremely aromatic so he excused himself and went the the restroom. In the safety of the restroom he let out a satisfying fart but it was accompanied by some liquid. "No problem" he thought.

When he went into the stall to clean up he found his underwear soaked in oil...fart oil to be exact. For the rest of the day, any gas or poo was accompanied by copious amounts of fart oil...it was nearly impossible to get it all off too.

Later he asked a friend who laughed for several minutes and when he could finally speak, the friend explained that it was a reaction that some people have when they have more than an ounce or two of that fish. It was called butterfish at the restaurant.

You have been warned.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio

This "friend" went to a restaurant in eastern Europe and enjoyed a beautiful tasting meal of sable, sauteed mushrooms, some mixed veg and a nice local beer to go along with it. The next day at a meeting with his new employer, he realized that he had to break wind. Now his farts could be extremely aromatic so he excused himself and went the the restroom. In the safety of the restroom he let out a satisfying fart but it was accompanied by some liquid. "No problem" he thought.

When he went into the stall to clean up he found his underwear soaked in oil...fart oil to be exact. For the rest of the day, any gas or poo was accompanied by copious amounts of fart oil...it was nearly impossible to get it all off too.

Later he asked a friend who laughed for several minutes and when he could finally speak, the friend explained that it was a reaction that some people have when they have more than an ounce or two of that fish. It was called butterfish at the restaurant.

You have been warned.
Now that’s some funny shit.... or is it?........ ??

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Never tried it, but being a fan of smoked fish, I will keep my eye out for it. Sable certainly got a bad rap in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm (The Larry David Sandwich), but semitic humor aside, it sounds like it's worth a try. Back a year or more when restaurants still existed, fish was my go-to most of the time, even on my wedding night (who the hell could pass up freshly caught Sanddabs?). I'll keep an eye out at Whole Foods next time I'm there.

Thanks for everyone who provided the amusing vodka-related stories. If Mt. Everest represented the pinnacle of alcohol tolerance, I'm somewhere in the Death Valley region. :col:

Reactions: dcon and ChuckMijo

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I was giving this thread some serious side eye for a minute there, because I thought you guys were talking about the weasel-like creatures that people make fur coats out of.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

You have been warned.
Orange Roughy can cause a similar reaction if eaten in large quantities or on a regular basis, only the ensuing "fart oil" is bright orange.

It was a popular pre-contest food among bodybuilders in the 80s-90s, a friend of mine told me an amusing tale about orange roughy overconsumption, white shorts, a white leather couch, and a first date gone terribly awry.

• Haha
Reactions: captainsousie
Status
Not open for further replies.