Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the incredible number and variety of pipes

available today I can't believe any smoker could resist adding to

their collection at least once a month.
I threw out more than half of my collection over the past month. No longer a collector here either. Just a smoker.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
In learning about this fascinating hobby and pleasurable pastime, I tried as many tobacco blends as I could in my first 2 or 3 years, and I picked up way many more pipes than I need.

I don't regret any of them, as each has its own identity and in that way has broadened my knowledge or intimacy with several shapes, makers, and materials.

I've given several away and that is always fun. I can only attest to one solid convert so far, but, I am proselytizing every chance I get.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I threw out more than half of my collection over the past month. No longer a collector here either. Just a smoker.
Where did you throw them? I'll scoop them up and find a home for those poor babies.

Jul 12, 2011
Started with only perhaps 2 12yrs ago..now
36 Briars...this number is on the rise there days
12 Cobs

6 Meers

6 Clays

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bradley, and every one of your 416 pipes cost 50.00 or less. I don't know how you keep that lie going year after year. :worship:
I could never be happy with one pipe. I smoke around 4 bowls a day and I never use the same pipe twice in a day. I like to rest my pipes for a good 48 hours. My collection is around 80 something pipes and that is plenty for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had one pipe for a year or two. I had five or six pipes for probably a decade. Now I have many, kind of an obsession to distract from my wife's difficult health issues with a hip replacement, revisions, etc. If you can restrain yourself and work up to ten or twenty extra nice pipes, that would be a pleasing scale. I have to admit, I do like walking into my "pipe shop" at home and picking one out, sometimes as kind of a surprise. Oh yeah, I remember this one, and it's a good smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always repeating myself, but my dad smoked one pipe at a time, always Granger. He might have a burnt out pipe barely smokeable as a back-up, but often not. He was a kid of the Great Depression, so spare possessions was his principle. One pipe can do it, even for an all-day smoker.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I smoke 1-2 bowls per day, using the 3 same pipes. I own a total of 7 briar pipes and a few cobs. I'm not much of a pipe collector, but I do hoard my tobaccos. People come over the house and say WTF,... what's in all those jars???

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I had one pipe for the first 7 or 8 years I smoked. Back then I smoked 2 or 3 bowls a week, now it’s usually 2 per day. I also only smoked one blend back then, now I have around 40 open tins and jars in action at any one time. I’m easing my way down to 60 pipes as I find that too many excellent pipes don’t get enough attention.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I think 1 or 2 pipes is enough only for "utility pipe smokers". For some explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8cZ9YVpZIQ

But those type of pipe smokers are not lurking around pipe forums. :lol:

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
I definitely can get by with 2 blends alone like Mike mentioned. But 1 or 2 pipes would be rather impossible for me :oops:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
When I finished up college and moved out, after the disposal of a couple badly abused, misused pipes, I was down to ONE pipe (my first). For a good portion of the '90s, I had only three.
What am I up to now? I'm embarrassed to admit I've lost count. When I moved out of the big city I packed up nearly all the pipes I had at the time, and they remain packed until I've moved into a real house. Since then, an affliction of PAD has come and gone, and I have a modest new rotation. :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I am proudly down to 8 pipes, and am perfectly happy with that. I may add 1 more as 3 bowls a day would give each set of three plenty of rest. I have no desire to add more.

Status
Not open for further replies.