Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I'm interested in growing my own tobacco. Not tons just as a fun and interesting thing to do. Has anyone here tried growing tobacco?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Its pretty easy to do, and theres a lot of good seed suppliers on the net these days. www.seedman.com has a wide selection, along with some other supplies.

I grew a few tobacco plants years ago in pots. They grew well, got big and did everything they were supposed to do.

After harvest, I dried it and aged it, but sort of lost interest in it after that. Rolled a few cigars though, the smoke was much different than any other tobacco I've smoked. Sort of a "green" taste to it.

If you're serious about it, all the info is out there on drying, curing, processing etc to make some decent stuff. But it does take a little dedication, some know how, and I'm sure some practice to get it all right.

I think I still have that tobacco in a box around here somewhere.....

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I considered growing, but I have whatever the opposite of a "green thumb" is...

From what I read, Tobacco is supposed to be fairly easy though.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you can grow tomatoes you can grow tobacco. Same family. I am hoping to get some in this year.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I would, but you have to wait a whole year before using it. From what I've read the actual growing is easy, it is the preparation which is difficult.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I am trying my hand at this year. I havee already sown the seeds and have wee little plants going. In the next week going to transfer them to a lttle bigger containers before sending the out to the real world and planting them.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
This site is great if you want to try growing your own.

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/index.php

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I gave it serious consideration about a year ago...I understand my climate would encourage nice tobacco growing. But the big problem would be the curing....and the Hilo climate is not good for that... :crying:

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Now you've all got me thinking I also need to grow my own. Apparently all the cool guys are doing it this year so I should as well.

farmer93

Lurker
Feb 16, 2014
I would love to try and grow my own. I have a vegetable garden every year and work on farms also. I'm sure I could do it if I tried.

May 25, 2013
That's pretty awesome. I thought about perique but after reading about the stuff like processing with the barrels and stuff, it seemed out of my range as a unemployed father. :P

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I'm kinda tackling it from a scientific perspective. Success or failure is just a by product of the eternal experimental question: "Can I do it?" It sure would be awesome if I ended up with some usable product though.

May 25, 2013
Yeah, I plan on growing some but since my knowledge of varieties and names is all I have to go on, I'd be going in blind. I don't have a base experience of the typical blends and types of tobaccos. I have only really tried a small handful of them and can only tell the taste of cavendish. I think. I don't remember for sure. It's the raisin smell. It's fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.