PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Whoa!!! Been forever since I've been here!! Glad to see so many people here!!
I've mostly been smoking cigars more than pipes, last time I picked one up was probably last year.
I recently moved to Greely/Manotick and all of my stuff are still in boxes! I rummaged through some stuff the other day, and ran across some pretty crisp stuff haha. Most of my baccy is aromatic, so the flavouring has kept it less...crisp lol. I did vacuum seal a few tins, but I negligently packed away my pipes without a through cleaning.
Anyways, if you all are meeting for a bowl, I might just tag along!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Holy cow, welcome back Sir!
Skapunk, thanks for posting the Facebook link. I completely forgot! I will punish myself with Mixture 79...

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Right on, we're building quite a group, 12 odd people now.
I'm extremely impressed.
Warren.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I'm way up Pembroke way, but making it down to Ottawa once a month for a pipe club gathering would be a lot of fun. Just joined the FB group, by the way.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Five - six years ago there were some people founding an Ottawa Pipe Club, but apparently it didn't take off.
I know this because I designed a logo for them and just found a tiny version of it in my files.
IcviZuh.png

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ahhhhhh, right on....we've got about 15 members so far.....and I already ripped off your logo.
Thanks! :D
Warren

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Hi Jari!
How's that Larsen pipe holding up that you got as a prize for that winning logo?
I helped run the Ottawa Pipe Club back in the day with Eric, Matty and another fellow who is Internet shy. I stumbled upon this thread and would like to know who in Ottawa would like to see the Club resurrected again? Specifically, I would be looking for those who would like to meet together regularly at least once a month. My job has a very tight schedule, but so far I'm able to have Thursday evenings off so that might be the starting place. As well, I would be willing to put up our old website that had great links, articles, etc...
Those who are interested can contact me via PM through this site; or I may be found at smokersforums.org (same username).
I look forward to hearing from you!

dtpcprez

Lurker
Jul 8, 2014
Yes, I founded the Ottawa Pipe Club with a fellow named Jason back around 2000 or so -- around the time the smoking ban in bars was enacted because I remember we met at "Whispers", which had been trying to get around it by acting as a club. (Didn't last long.) Our biggest meeting brought out around a dozen people and we had reps from Brigham and pipesworld.com in attendance. I moved to Toronto in 2005 and the club faded away after that due to a variety of reasons.
Glad to see some interest in reviving it!
Eric
p.s. Who are you "rokerdepipe"? I only have a couple of guesses left after process of elimination. :)

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Hi Eric! It's Eric! I remember Jason, and I remember your envious position with Pipesworld too! Rokerdepipe means "Smoking a pipe" in Norwegian, and that was the username I chose for SmokersForums and I've just stuck with it.
PM me and let me know how things are going for you in Toronto!
Eric

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
OK...so the date is set..we'll meet at 7pm on July 22 at the Bacchus Lounge in the Hotel Lac Lemay in Gatineau. It's a cigar lounge and I remember us being able to smoke our pipes before but I heard somewhere that they don't allow pipe smoking? Sounds weird to me.
Anyway, this will be a good place to meet initially. Bring a few of your interesting pipes 'n tobaccos for a show and tell.
As well, since we're using this venue to meet, it would be nice to support their business by buying a few drinks. If you're not drinking, perhaps a cigar or food item from their menu.
I look forward to seeing you all!

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Greetings everyone! This is my first post and joined because of this thread... actually because of the post above. This morning laying in bed, I still havent got out of bed yet, I was wondering if there are any fellow pipe smokers in Ottawa that I vould meet with, and google introduced me to this page. I was overjoyed to see that other pioe smokers were meeting up, but here is the comedic part... right now is 8:43 am on July 23 2014.
So how was the meeting LAST NIGHT? I wish I had the thought to do this google search 24 hours ago.
Anyways, I live in Kanata but travel around the city, and am daily in Orleans. If anyone would enjoy the company of a newbie to the pipe over a bowl I would be delighted to meet you.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Greetings to all in our small pipe club! My name is Robert, and I am new to the pipe, and very much enjoying it. After experiencing the tranquil pleasure I am surprised that pipe smoking isn't a popular activity, considering the tend with cigars and the still omnipresence of cigarettes. In my humble opinion, the pipe is simply the most enjoyable format to appreciate tobacco, though I am sure that that would be debated by some.
Anyhow, I am hopeful that some sort of "club" will form here in Ottawa. I understand that unfortunately meeting locations for our hobby may be extremely restrictive. Since it is summer, how would everyone feel about meeting someplace outdoors? I know that the city of Ottawa would pevent us from indulging in city parks, but what if we set up some folding chairs by the Ottawa river near some public parking area? Perhaps a time prior to sunset to savour that moment in the delightful company of our pipes and fellow smokers? Of course we should bring DEET to be able to relax into the experience.
I look forward to hearing thoughts on this proposition.
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.