PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Keep it in soak while carving... Xacto (tm) blades mounted in a wooden dowel make an excellent carving tool. Carves very much like soap (you might even want to practice on some soap first). you can also use the blades in a 90 degree scraping motion for fine work. There are some videos on YouTube showing carvers at work.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
T
Keep it in soak while carving... Xacto (tm) blades mounted in a wooden dowel make an excellent carving tool. Carves very much like soap (you might even want to practice on some soap first). you can also use the blades in a 90 degree scraping motion for fine work. There are some videos on YouTube showing carvers at work.
Thanks.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
post it! I've been toying with that idea too
I will if I can remember to take pictures as I’m working on it. I’m bad about that kind of stuff. All my knife pictures are after the work is done. I only have a few that have good “work in progress” photos. I’ll try to remember to take some on the pipe carving. If nothing else it might serve as a lesson of what not to do!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It looks like you could put it on a rope and hang it in the shower! Look forward to seeing what you do with it, now I want to try!
It actually carves like soap, just like @jhowell said.I decided it looked about right for carving, so I’m not waiting 24 hours. I’m zeroing in on a shape, but this thing is huge. I’m now no longer convinced I should do a smooth, even though I love how they look. Seems like it’d be a lot of meerschaum wasted as chips. What do y’all think?
Here’s how I received it:
65041192-D069-4644-B3C5-F9610F8E280C.jpeg

Here’s where I’m at now:
0A26648C-15A7-4825-99E8-D6CAEA53B394.jpeg
7DD34700-40B0-4CF9-BC11-26654C17EE23.jpeg
I haven’t done much yet other than refine the shape a bit. Still time to call an audible if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.