Anyone else not smoking as much because of the cold?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2019
Winters for me are love/hate. Hate because I can’t smoke if it’s too cold, but my English, Balkan’s, lat-forward blends are blissful when it’s cooler. I enjoy burleys more also.
Come warmer weather I retreat to Va/Pers and lighter English. Oddly, I enjoy strong cigars more during the summer. In fact when it gets hot, I’m likely to grab a stick most every night and my pipes just sit.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
After being a ski bum in the rockies for 30 plus years, I'm now 68 and can't stand the cold. I hate winter. My smoking has been cut way back.
Dan

Mar 29, 2016
I smoke much less in winter, it's not just the cold, I crave less pipe or cigar smoking since the flavors are dampened by the cold. When I do smoke, I do it when it's close to 0 Celsius and no wind. Of course I reach for Latakia mixtures or Va/Pers. I don't smoke indoors.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Hang on one second.... how many people on this forum live in Regina?

I will be the first one to admit that I live in Regina.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I cut back purely because of convenience. There are times where I'm not interested enough to suit up into layers for the experience whereas in warmer seasons it's much less of a project to step outside and camp for a bit.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Admittedly I live in Houston so "cold" here lacks the ferocity visited on our more Northerly friends, but I also spend a good deal of time in Finland and a West Texas deer lease. For me, it's not so much the cold as long as I can be out of the wind. Jameson helps.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Can't smoke on the porch because it is too damn cold...34° here tonight...and this is north Florida I'm speaking off. Can't smoke in the house as my wife has breathing issues and I don't do well with a flat iron over my head.

grettman

Lurker
Dec 28, 2018
I picked a bad time to pick up the pipe. I hate the cold but love my pipe smoking experiences so far. The garage has been okay but below 40 degrees makes it uncomfortable. I’m lucky that I live 5 mins from a tobacco shop that has a lounge.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
in nc. per local radio, we wear shorts to shovel snow. been smoking on front porch in shorts down to 32°. just wear thick jacket and a hat.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
My pipesmoking actually increases during the winter. I smoke pipes indoors or out. In consideration of the other family members, I only smoke cigars outside. My cigar smoking will pick up in the spring. This has become a sort of natural annual pattern that I’ve come to enjoy with the changes of the seasons.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Not me; fortunately here in NC the temperatures aren't extreme enough to increase the opportunity cost (that much) of standing outside.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Nope, I keep on puffing. The only exception to this is the wind. If it's windy, then I find smoking a pipe quite pointless, as it usually burns hot and gives me a pretty mediocre experience. Most of the time, I actually enjoy the cold weather smoke, but never sitting. Always on a walk with the dog or by myself, to keep the blood flowing.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've actually cut back big time, because here in Vegas it's been much colder than usual (mid to upper 40s for highs with over night lows dipping into the low 30s) and it's been really rainy and dreary and nasty. This morning I finally said screw it I've been so miserable lately because of the weather I'm heading out to the garage and firing up a bowl of Mac Baren Golden Extra (think it's a July 2017 tin) in one of my favorite pipes a Dr Bob rusticated straight pot. Hopefully this bowl makes my day a little better. It does still taste like that amazing graham cracker goodness that I find from this blend.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
North Florida (panhandle) believe it or not does get cold enough to send me into the garage for a few months. Space heater and a laptop so I can smoke and hang out here. Life is good!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
IMG-20190117-142023.jpg

Nah. But it is kinda warm yet today in Wisconsin. 29 degrees

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not me, although if it does get below 35 or so I usually don't spend more than an hour outside with the briar. However I did buy a jacket recently, which does extend my time if its really cold & windy. And BTW, FWIW, the shirt in my avatar? That IS the sort of thing I normally wear when smoking outside, winter, summer, & trumpet-call-of-Doomsday. :):)
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.