Anyone Else Find That Smoking A Pipe Makes You Hungry?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
The opposite, actually. I find that smoking distracts me from any hunger I might have been experiencing. I usually hear that nicotine is a hunger suppressant, but there are always exceptions

chicagopiper74

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2019
Illinois
Agreed - I always seem to have a taste for crunchy things (carrotts, apples) or salty things (cheese, sausage) after a good smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Native Americans, specifically plains tribes, used tobacco to slake hunger, to tide them over until they had food. As with cigarettes, pipes are often used as a sort of digestif to settle a meal, which I often find appealing. But I can see it might also awaken appetite since it is tasty. It seems there are a lot of associations. It certainly helps to eat something before smoking to make the nicotine hit more mellow, and to hydrate with water or other beverage as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nicotine is supposed to suppress hunger. People used to use tobacco to assuage the hunger pangs when they didn't have food to eat.

Of course, there're always odd balls who are the exception. Take me for instance: coffee actually makes me sleepy.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It does make me hungry. Just like walking, working, flying, hunting, watching tv, drinking, reading, thinking thoughts, talking on the phone, internet shopping, taking out the trash, playing with the dog, sex, shoveling, watching hockey, chopping wood, driving.......

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Usually the opposite for me. But sometimes seems to increase stomach activity but that's rare

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Nope. Like most have posted, I find that it suppresses my appetite. In fact, if I’m smoking during the day, as I’ve been doing lately while working on my dissertation, I will often just plain forget to eat lunch. I don’t think of it.

On the other hand, a rich, full bodied smoke after a big meal is a special pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.