PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
True Introvert! An introvert gains their energy or recharges their batteries from being alone. Extroverts gain their energy from being with others.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+1 numbersix, phred and hunterwold1.
@youngsmoker: “Anti-social” is probably not the best choice of terms. It creates a perception of a psychological problem, whereas it may just be that you’re referring more to the types of things that six, phred and hunter commented on. Like six, I can do “small talk” for about 5 mins. Unfortunately, small talk is about the only kind of talk that is usually socially acceptable these days.
Obviously I don’t know you at all, so I have no idea whether there is any real problem or not, and I wouldn’t be qualified to say anyway...but imo, it’s become very difficult just to be genuinely an individual w/o it being perceived as being “anti-social”. Society in general is becoming more and more truly dysfunctional, so being “normal” does not necessarily mean sane any longer. And distancing oneself from the general insanity, or disconnecting from the vacuous narcissistic culture is often perceived as abnormal now.
For that matter, just being a pipe smoker is often seen as abnormal or anti-social...and not just because of the smoking...also because pipe smokers tend to be thinkers, and thinking is definitely not “in” these days.
As Krishnamurti said, “It is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Kanaia, I appreciate your concern, and it is quite common to not understand a personality type that you are not especially if you don't know any. I want to stress though that he does sound sad at his situation but does not sound depressed. He is not whithdrawn but needs a different type of connection than extroverts do. It's like red trying to understand what blue is, without actually seeing the other color you can not really understand.
Youngsmoker, it's true introverts don't need as much social interaction than extroverts but that doesn't mean you don't need any. It's a constant battle to not completely close yourself off from the outside world, if you do you will fall into depression. Extroverts seem shallow because they do talk much more than needed, oh have to understand though you don't see the world the same way they do just as they don't understand your need for peace and quiet. Find your close group you can respect and trust, feel that you have the option to say no when they invite you out, and let them drag you out every now and then, especially when your really not feeling up to it, that's probably when you need it most. I am not a councilor by any means just a student of life and I have plenty of experience being an introvert. If you ever need to vent shoot me a personal message. :)

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I thought I didnt like people until I got a new group of friends who werent total idiots...

Aug 14, 2012
If I might ask, why are you talking here if you dislike people? I know what you mean though. I had to say to my wife tonight "Are you ever going to shut up? You are wearing me out just listening." She laughed and kept talking.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I wouldn't consider myself an introvert but I'm certainly not an extrovert. I like my alone time more and more the older I get. My mind is constantly buzzing along as well as my tinnitus. I like being around only certain people and get really drained by most. I think most people just suck the life out of you to varying degrees and I try to avoid the worst offenders. After having been divorced twice(both could drain the life from you) I can't stand drama and being immersed in it drives me crazy. I don't suffer fools gladly which may be part of my problem, or is it their problem??? I could go an entire day without uttering a single word and be perfectly happy. Some people get nervous when there is a few seconds of silence and then continue give me a headache. Geezus I'm just an old cranky bastard. :mrgreen:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It would take a lot to drag me out to go clubbing these days. A nice pipe on the sofa with a book on the iPad or a good movie is more like it for me. I don't mind people but I was always more of an introvert.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I do outside sales for a living and have been seeing the same batch of people nine years .What I have learned is everybody is crazy in there own way from time to time .

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Pretty much the same way. I hate gossipers, drama queens and kings and just in general people who feed off of other people's lives like it's so important to them. Drive me nuts to no end. The media also annoys me. I really don't care about Kardashian's, The Royal BS going on, what is the best place to retire, the top 10 cars that were flops, etc...the list goes on and on and on...
Personally, I think most of today's problems with society is the media and what they feed society. Sheeple are lead to belive what is right, wrong, cool, 'in' or out by what the media tells them to believe. I don't want to go way out in a tangent here on this so I'm not.
I personally don't waste my time with regular television, radio or BS talk that isn't worth killing brain cells over. I would rather have conversations where the parties involved learn from each other and have intelligent conversations instead of talking about what happened on Big Brother, or what Simon Cowel said last night on TV.
I'm getting all riled up here talking about this so I'm ending it and I'm going to enjoy the rest of my bowl lol :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
What I have learned is everybody is crazy in there own way from time to time .
+1 ... The entire species suffers from collective amnesia and collective PTSD. The symptoms vary greatly in severity and frequency at the individual level. Cultivating an awareness of this and seeking to understand it is to be on the road to recovery.
@Cavendish: +1 ... IMO, it is not possible to overstate the significance of the role of TV in the collective psychosis and distortion of reality. No one said it better than Howard Beale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Should social-media (I.e. facebook, twitter, etc.) be added to that statement, Brian?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I would classify myself as an extrovert. But not an overt extrovert. I enjoy people, enjoy watching them, talking to them, learning from them. I try not to intrude, however, or blow folks away, so to speak, with too much of me.
But, I do understand those who are unable to fit into that neat category of "always being on." It is difficult sometimes to handle the bs and abide the idiots, but for me, that is also part of life, part of the mystifying nature of what makes us all different.
I do enjoy "down" time, but I also enjoy being around folks, talking to them and interacting. It is not work for me. It is just something I do and enjoy.
I make speeches without notes, which is probably crazy, but it is a challenge for me. I don't get nervous without notes (not all the time, mind you, just some of the time when I really know the subject about which I'm about to impart).
Anyway, this is a good topic for pipe smokers, I think. Most of us are thinkers. I like to think of us as the "mind workers of the world." I wish I had made that up, but I didn't.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I'm only very introverted when smoking a pipe. It's not that I don't like the company, but no matter how silent or meek I am, the pipe always comes up in conversation. It's not that I don't enjoy pipe talk and genuine curiosity, but I find most people who ask about my pipe smoking do so with a kind of detached bemusement. Too often their speech and demeanor conveys "Oh, you think that's pretty cool don't you? Silly boy, pipes are for old men."
But I try to remember that people are good, man -even the bad ones. Everybody's just going along doing what they can with what they have.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I know right! I can tell within the first 10min of conversing with someone wether they are actually trying to carry on a conversation or just want to talk about TV or gossip and bitch and complain about work, or the heat, or the rain. People like that I try to avoid at all costs. Don't want the drama and I don't care what they have to say espically if they can't carry on intelligent conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.