PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Used to not care for them, now I appreciate the simple functional beauty of the family. There are a lot variations in the billiard family with specific ratios and profile characteristics. Perfection of execution of the various billiard shapes used to be a way of rating a carver's level of expertise.

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Used to not care for them, now I appreciate the simple functional beauty of the family. There are a lot variations in the billiard family with specific ratios and profile characteristics. Perfection of execution of the various billiard shapes used to be a way of rating a carver's level of expertise.
And still should be.
Shouldn’t be able to pass go until you can cut a passable billiard.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I thought I was done with my 'collection' of 10 pipes, but then I started thinking that I would really want a straight saddle billiard to round it out.

I'm typically not a fan of billiards unless they have a saddle stem and (near) perfect proportions. I'm mostly drawn to Danish style billiards.

I may have to commission one when I have a suitable occassion to justify it. I found this one on Suhr's website that looks perfect to my eyes.

_M1A9869-web.jpg
_M1A9821-web.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
I thought I was done with my 'collection' of 10 pipes, but then I started thinking that I would really want a straight saddle billiard to round it out.

I'm typically not a fan of billiards unless they have a saddle stem and (near) perfect proportions. I'm mostly drawn to Danish style billiards.

I may have to commission one when I have a suitable occassion to justify it. I found this one on Suhr's website that looks perfect to my eyes.

View attachment 89411
View attachment 89412
Disclaimer: This is a well-shaped pipe with nice grain and nothing wrong with it.

However, I have to be that guy. That's a brandy shape, not a billiard.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I was wondering that and even looked up the definition of a brandy before posting. As I understand it a brandy tapers down as you go up the bowl, often quite significantly. While this is probably a brandy, it is not a stereotypical one in my opinion.
Disclaimer: This is a well-shaped pipe with nice grain and nothing wrong with it.

However, I have to be that guy. That's a brandy shape, not a billiard.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
At the then annual GKCPC Pipe Show held in KC. I know two of the three judges were George Dibos and Greg Pease. I didn't say these were necessarily good billiards I said they were the only billiards. The carvers were given a sheet from Pipedia telling them what was a billiard.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A straight billiard just doesn't appeal to me. I can't say that I've ever smoked (or purchased one). I do enjoy bent billiards and own many. I said that I didn't like straight pipes, but now own numerous straight bulldog and rhodesian shapes and they smoke fine. So, it probably is just a matter of size and weight for me.