PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
I started with a few coaxial helicopters and am now trying to move to col-pitch ones...got PhoenixRC Sim for the PC...much cheaper crashes and really is a nice sim program, you can even jack-in your most transmitters with an adapter , so you can save the $$ from buying one with the application :)
A really nice starter heli, but crashes still a$$ up :crying:

e-flite-blade-cx-2.jpg

Should be a nice thread...full of custom pics & what pipe do you smoke while flying :wink:

Jul 12, 2011
The e-flite is the way to go with starter helis/good deal on entire kit, but still gets damn $$$ when crash'in :crying:
I have to post a few more images (the one in the first post is stock) after all the crash'in while learning...rebuilt the entire outfit, which I guess gave me greater insight into the entire bird (sure it id..still hurts when you slam the thing into the side of the house with nothing to do but try to catch it as it falls to the ground :rofl:

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I do not fly model planes because I can see myself spending billions! I do go to the San Fernando Valley Model Airport and watch planes, smoke my pipe and spend billions - in my mind! (much less expensive). It is a huge area, totally dedicated to model plane flying, racing, etc.
San Fernando Valley Model Airport

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I always found the seats a bit cramped. :D
PDmus, that's not the one at "Mile Square" is it?

It's been a long time since I have been there...

Mile Square is probably in Orange County... Been 25 years so I'm not sure.
There is an RC airport not far from here... I haven't been there in a while, time to go back.
Baron: I used to fly those Oh49's. Had a couple of Mustang Fighters and a "Super Bee" powered Japanese Zero.

And, a really nice replica of a Korean War Marine Corps Reconnaissance Plane. (Wing span was 4-1/2 feet) It was really to big for me. I believe the engine was about 1.5 ci. All were cable driven... made me dizzy. I'm sorry we didn't have RC back when the world was still in Black and White. You know before they invented color. :D

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Hey L - it is in the Sepulveda Dam Rec Area, a very large part of the park is set aside for model planes. That would be in Van Nuys, in the San Fernando Valley suburb of LA. No where near Orange County. I have never been to another model airport, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it is a very open area with no possibility of interference from "the outside."

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mile Square used to have a couple of golf courses and a model plane field as well. Very flat very open.

The RC field near me now is very nice. They even have a Air Traffic Controller on the weekends.

Jul 12, 2011
Hi Guys,

Have you seen these bad-boys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXQVh5IbHc)...INSANE! I love them but @ over $20K/ea if I crashed it I might as well just jump into the flames :rofl:

Jul 12, 2011
or for the heli..nobody better I have seen; Alan Szabo jr (this guy is insane on the stick!) 8O http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exN75Bytq_o

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I flew 'em for years. Good time in my life, some the best friends I ever had I met while active in that hobby.
Back then you flew helicopters by the seat of your pants! Oh the money I spent! :crying:

Jul 12, 2011
@Tommy, yeah now we get a lil spoiled with gyro (thank goodness) otherwise

I couldn't get the bird off the ground...Great time and friends

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
i started to fly when i lived in south africa it is a great hobby and

a person makes manny friends only problem is if you are married it leads

to a few white lies ie darling how much did that cost quick response

you divide the purchace price by 3 and then subtract whatever no comes into your head

i now live in scotland and have a fortune in planes etc but the weather

here is not the best for this hobby

good luck you will have many happy hours just watch the dollars

david (scotland)

bcer

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
I used to....gave it up for lack of time to invest.

I started with a coaxial, moved to a Honeybee King, then bought a Century Hawk Pro.

The bigger, the more stable. I only got to hovering with my big heli, but the honeybee I did a lot more.

It is another great hobby, with lots of good people involved. I recommend joining a local club, lots of help there.

here is a picture with my old heli.

IMG_1111.jpg

Jordan

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
don't get me started 8O no more hobbies, but I've always wanted to get into RC Gliders and have quite a few books and magazines on them....one of these days. :wink:

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
My other hobby is n scale model railroading. We are moving and have a 3 room basement, 1 for storage, 1 for my wife Iris' play room and one for my "dream layout." Iris says it is fine for me to smoke my pipe in my train room!
Current small layout, my next will be much more extensive....
pdmus
[/url][/img]

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
@Tommy, yeah now we get a lil spoiled with gyro (thank goodness) otherwise

I couldn't get the bird off the ground...Great time and friends
Back then just hovering was like balancing a soft ball on top of a basketball. I think my last chopper was a "Cricket" if my memory serves me correctly.

It's somewhere in the middle of the giant landfill in south Oklahoma City now. Along with a few planes and a golf club or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.